Chapter 36

"My ears won't pop," Calayah whined as the plane took off. I have them chewing gum but I guess it didn't work for them.

"Keep chewing," Xavier told her and I watched the two of them interact. "When I used to fly to Italy my ears did that too,"

"You've been to Italy?!" Calayah almost yelled. "I can't hear how loud I am,"

"I can tell," I muttered. The lady across from me laughed.

"Beautiful kids you have," she complimented and I thanked her. I looked beside her to see identical twins, sleeping.

"Your children are beautiful too," I said. She smiled and thanked me then turned back to them. Twins. That'd be a blessing, having two at the same time would save us a lot of time and aggravation of two pregnancies.

"Dad?" Xavier called me and I looked down at him. "Can you please tell Calayah that those are actual clouds,"

"I know those are clouds dummy! All I'm saying is that it's not the clouds we see from on the ground. It looks so thick and it's really not," Calayah argued.

"Science!" Xavier exaggerated. "Do you not have a science class at that fancy ass school?"

"Hey! What your mouth! Who do you hear talking like that?" I butted in. Where in the hell does he get his language from.

"My mother says it all the time," he shrugged. "She also said Calayah school is fancy and for uppity ass people," how does she even know what school she goes to? "I'm sorry for cussing,"

"Just don't do it again," I warned and he nodded.

"Your mom sounds like a butt face," Calayah said with her arms crossed. "My school is not uppity,"

"Calayah, you don't talk about people," I said to her. "Why are you guys so rude?" I asked.

They shrugged and started talking about outside of the plane. Calayah begged me for the window seat, so they sat looking out the window.

Soon, snacks came and then one by one they got up to use the bathroom. "Finally!" Xavier groaned as the pilot announced us landing soon. "If I had to spend one more minute with her, I'd go crazy," he told me as Calayah was in the bathroom.

"Son, that's women," I patted his head and he laughed.

"I have a girlfriend," he proudly announced.

I raised my eyebrow, a habit I picked up from Camille. Dating a black woman with natural attitude is no joke. "Really? Zay, you're to young for one,"

"I know. It's nothing serious but she brings me lunchables everyday so I call her my girlfriend," he explained and I wanted to roll on the floor laughing.

"So basically you're using her? Calling her your girlfriend just to get something from her," I heard Calayah from next to me. I helped her to her window seat and she turned to face Xavier. "That's sexist and just a jerk move! You have to respect women and not use her things," she buckled back in and turned away from us.

"She's right, you have to treat women with respect and actually stick up for them and love them" I said to him and he rolled his eyes. "No sir, don't roll your eyes at me. If you're wrong, you're wrong. Simple," I said.

When the plane landed I got our carry ons and we headed to the front of the airport, where pick up is. Xavier and Calayah didn't speak to each other but I'm still confused in how Calayah knew so much about treating women and not using them.

"Mommy!" I heard Calayah yell then she started running. I looked in the direction of her running to see Camille with arms wide open. They hugged for a while and Camille began crying. It's been a while since she's last seen Calayah, so I completely understand.