Chapter 12

"So when were you going to tell me? Before or after you bought the house?" I asked with a straight face. They bought the house but I needed to make sure they did before I spoke to her.

My mother and her husband who looks as if he has no clue as to what's going on sat before me. She shifts in her seat and sighs multiple times. "I don't know..."

"You bitch!" I stopped myself. "That was unprofessional of me, however!" I put my finger up. "I can't believe you just tugged me along, does your husband even know"

"Know what?!" He finally spoke up, clearly aggravated at this point.

"I'm her daughter! You didn't know that huh? Well, me either! You just looked so familiar to me but maybe I didn't recognize you because you're not a crackhead anymore who emotionally, mentally, and physically abused us. Or maybe because you weren't offering a man to me at a tender age! Oo! Or maybe you weren't sending my father jail for something I wish he had done, right now I'm done. Don't ever talk to me again," I got up and left the secluded restaurant.

Andrew

"Mr. Taylor you have someone downstairs asking to see you," Mona, a secretary that I share with Mike.

I look up from my work and give her a face. "Who in the hell could it be?"

She looked at me with her big green eyes. "It's a little girl, she said she knows you,"

Little girl? I mean that could be anyone. My sisters, cousins, Calay- "Oh shit!" I stood up. "Is she brown with curly hair?" I asked frantically. Mona nodded and I dashed past her to the elevator. When I reached the first floor I looked around for Calayah. I couldn't find her until I saw her siting with security talking to them.

"Andrew!" She hopped down from the chair and ran to me.

"Hey Princess," I pinched her nose as she crinkled it and lifted her up.

"Drew, you're gonna embarrass me in front of my new friends," she whispered to me.

"Oh I'm sorry!" I laughed and thanked security for watching her. I grabbed her backpack and jacket. "Hey! Wanna see my office?" I asked her and she nodded frantically.

Two hours later

Calayah is full and asleep on my office sofa while I'm speaking to a client. Every once in a while I'll glance at her. Caleb was supposed to get Calayah but since Camille and him got into an argument, I guess he doesn't feel obligated. So one of Calayah's friend and her mother dropped her here, I guess Calayah remembered when I told her where I work.

"Ma'am did you lead him on?" I asked the client, Alexandra Paige, who is suing her multi-millionaire boss for rape.

"What kind of question is that?! No!" She yelled and I quickly shushed her. I looked over at Calayah and she didn't hear one thing.

"This is what they're going to ask you, you can't react like that!" I calmly said to her. She nodded. I began asking her questions to which she answered to her best.

"Would you say he's obsessed with sex?" I asked folding my hands.

"I have no idea." She looked away. "I- he-" she sighed. "Whenever I was around he'd suggest but I'd deny again and again, I'm a married woman, raised Southern Baptist. The bastard raped me! I'm pregnant by a man who isn't my husband, I-"

"Wait! You're pregnant?!" I asked shocked. This case is going to be easier than I thought. "When did you find out?" She went into her purse and handed me Doctor papers and I laughed.

"It's not funny! If you can't help then I'll leave!" She muttered.

"Sit, Mrs. Paige," I said and she slowly sat down. "I'm laughing because there's no doubt in my mind that you're going to win this thing," I assured her and she sighed and started rubbing her temples.

We sat in the quiet for a while as I wrote everything down until she breathed sharply. "In my old office!"

"I'm sorry, what?" I began she held up her hand.

"My sister in law put a secret camera in the office to see if I was being honest with my husband. That's how she found out. She has the feed or the tape in her home," she pulled out her phone and began talking to her sister in law. She smiled and got off the phone. "She still has it! She's going to stop by later and give it to you! Oh my God, thank you so much," she looked up and I smiled a small smile.

We began taking some more until I got enough to information for today. I walked her to my door and had Mona escort her down.

My phone began ringing and I already knew it's Camille. "Hello?"

"Oh my gosh! Caleb didn't pick up Layah and the school doesn't have her, non of my family has her! I don't know what to do!" She began crying on the phone and I couldn't take it.

"Camille calm down, calm down. I have her!" I said and she kept sniffling. Man, I don't know what she'd do if she ever lost Calayah.

"What?" She barely got out, she cleared her throat and sniffled. "You have her? Oh my God! Thank you! I'll be there soon!"

"Babe, I'm at work. She's sleeping," I smiled over at Calayah who curled into my sofa and the blanket tucked into her.

"You kept her there the whole time? Do you need an award?" She joked after calming down.  

"No, just doing my job. She did her homework with Mona's help," I smiled at the memory. It was more like Calayah was teaching Mona instead of the other way around.

"Mona?" Camille asked. I forgot that she's never met Mona before.

"My secretary. Mike and I share her- that sounds so wrong," I chuckled. She laughed and we talked on the phone until she knocked on my door.

"She must be really tired, she's still sleeping?" She asked surprised.

"Yeah, she played secretary with Mona today and helped her get some stuff done. Mona gave her $20 for the help," I laughed.

"Makes more than us," she joked and I agreed. At 8, $20 is equivalent to how much I make per year. Camille scooped up Calayah and I picked up her backpack and walked them downstairs.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow," Camille said and I waved as she pulled off. I went back into my office and waited for Mrs. Paige's sister-in-law to give me the tape. When she walked in my jaw dropped. She's a beautiful caramel woman with dark curly hair and baby cheeks.

"Are you..?" I implied.

"Yes, I'm Arial Paige," she smiled at me and shook my hand. Her hands are soft.

"I wouldn't have known," I smiled and mentally kicked myself for the natural flirting. She laughed and handed me a envelope with the cd in it.

"Thank you," I smiled as I checked it.

"Get that bastard!" She hissed and then dismissed herself.

Camille

As I headed home Layah woke up. "You want me to cook or you want fast food?" I asked as she began talking to me.

"I want pop to make his Frank's' N' Beans," she smiled. I said ok. We drove silently.

"Mommy? What's rape?" Calayah so innocently asked. What the fuck? Why would she ask that?

"Where'd you hear that?" I swear if it was at that damn rich ass school-

"Andrews office," she said. "Some lady was yelling ' raped!' I woke up but then went back to sleep.

A woman was yelling at Andrew about rape? Drew raped someone? No! That's impossible..... But then again, Mike did say he loved women. What if they didn't want him back? Did he just....