#MathematicallyImpossibilityOfLove

Michelle
I had a dream about him.
I was on a bus, when he got on at my stop. I said, "Hi". He smiled at me. I wanted to say so much more to him. To repeat everything I wrote in that email, but I had to get off my stop.
And then I woke up. And then I realized that I was late for work.
Sometimes I would find myself dreaming of him, thinking of him. And it makes me so... sad.And I had to have that dream on the night that Tia slept over.

-

"You read these?" Tia asked as she picked on my romance novels from my bedside table.

I nodded.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because of the sex," I responded, and Tia looked scandalized.

"I'm kidding," I added with a grin. "If I left my brain at the door, it's actually quite entertaining. Or maybe because I don't have a boyfriend, and I need an imaginary hero to fill the void."

Tia laughed.

"You should try reading one," I suggested as Tia shook her head and set my book back down. "The hero and the heroine meet and it like the entire universe is pulling them together. It's very romantic."

"I prefer something that's closer to real life."

"But that's the point. Sometimes, you just need to forget real life. Especially if you're 25 and never had a boyfriend. Oh wait, that's me."

Tia laughed again.

"Why is that?" she asked.

"Apparently we are not attractive enough," I replied with a laugh."Or that the person we like, likes someone else," she said, looking at me meaningfully.""So... what were your dates with Nate like?" I asked again."Just because two people of the opposite sex have dinner together, it doesn't make it a date," she replied. "We talked about you a lot," she added."Why?" I asked."Nate missed you," she replied glumly."He moved on...""I know he did. Or at least he told me that he did.""He did," I reassured her."So there's hope for me yet," she said with a weak smile.I wish I could tell her about how Nate feels about her now, but I promised him that I wouldn't.

"If I'm in your romance novel, I'd be the other girl."

She laughed.

"You should definitely read romance novels. Secondary characters are usually just the supportive friend or sibling, who will not dream of doing anything to sabotage the hero and heroine's love story."

"How does that make it interesting?"

"Because they already do a great job at sabotaging themselves. But hey, they always resolve things before the end of the book. And end with a happily ever after."

"We do a great job at sabotaging ourselves, too," she said.

"You know, you could always make the first move," I suggested, because Nate said that he wouldn't."You want me to ask Nate out?" Tia asked incredulously.

I nodded, and answered, "Why not?"

Tia

She's kidding, right?

She wants me to ask Nate.

Since when does the girl asks the guy out? Maybe people are more liberal and more modern in other countries, but not around here. Here, we believe in courtship and in saving yourself until marriage... against divorce and abortion...

"I don't get why we still have to be so... traditional," she said, putting an emphasis on "traditional" as if it's a disease or something.
I just looked at her, I know she wants to continue without my interruption.
"Why can't a girl ask a guy out? I mean, are we just supposed to wait?" she continued on her campaign. "And why does the guy get to decide which girl to pursue? More often than not, the girl doesn't even like the guy. She can either go on a stupid date, or she can continue waiting." I get it, Nate liked you, and you don't like him.
Mich is not done yet. I feel she has a lot to say about this issue.
"While the guy she actually likes is asking some other girl on a date, which she might accept because she likes him or because she's tired of waiting. All the while, the guy she likes is-" You like him, but he probably has a girlfriend.
I stopped her right there, "I get it, it's a cruel and vicious cycle that we need to put a stop to."
She smiled at me.
"You should ask Nate out then," she said, emphasizing her point.
"No."
"Why not?"
"People elsewhere might think that's fine, but not here."
She pouted. She actually pouted. She hates it when I use the our bubble argument.

Michelle

"Did you ask him out?" she asked.

"I did."

She waited for me to continue.

But what would I say? He didn't reply. He never replied. I have made a complete fool of myself, and I still couldn't get over him.

"Besides Nate knows how I feel about him. He always has. I do a terrible job at hiding my feelings. I don't want him to just say yes to me, because he knows that you'll never say yes to him. I don't want to be the next best thing."

I nodded.

"But what are the chance of a guy we like, also happens to like us back at the same time? What are the chances that you picked him among the millions, billions of people in the world, and he'd also pick you from among the millions, billions of people in the world at this moment in time? What are the odds?" I asked.

"I don't like the odds, but that's what makes it so special right?"

"Albeit mathematically impossible."

"I like to believe in the impossible."