#BeerBuddies

Nathaniel

I swiped my key card, actually what should've been Tia's key card, and opened the door, expecting Mich with a lame sign that says 'Congratulations!', instead I find her on my couch with a largely depleted six pack that we had bought to celebrate.

I picked up the remaining can, and raised an eyebrow at her.

"I saved it for you," she replied, raising her eyebrow, imitating.

"I'm going to pick up some more. Do you want anything else?"

"Icecream!" she declared.

"Trust me, you don't want to eat icecream," I said, noting her clearly drunk voice.

"Fine," she protested. "Chicharon then."

Fried pig skin? I looked Mich up and down. Nah, she doesn't need to worry about her weight. "Okay, then. I'll see you in a bit."

-

I opened my newly bought can of beer. Mich had apparently consumed the one she was saving for me.

And then I asked her, "So what happened to you?" It couldn't possibly be worse than what happened between Tia and I, right?

"He's getting married," she sulked.

"He? As in-" As in the guy she pathetically pined for since the 5th grade? As in her excuse to reject every single one of her suitors, me included? As in-

"Yup," she replied. "I keep telling myself that it's not a big deal. But then," she covered her face, as if embarrassed, and then she made a sound that I have not heard before- a mix between an urgh and a cry.

I laughed, I couldn't help myself.

She removed her hand from face and glared at me.

"It's a good thing though," I said, trying to be helpful.

"How so?" she raised her eyebrow again. "So I can finally, finally hammer that final nail in the coffin and move on with my life?"

I smirked again. I know I should be more sympathetic, but seeing her in this state is kind of funny. "Pretty much," I replied.

She suddenly noticed Tia's absence, and asked, "Where's Tia?"

I took a big swig in reply.

She knocked her can against mine, and patronizingly said, "Aww, that's okay."

"She said she'll think about it," I answered.

"What is there to think about?" she asked.

"That's the thing. I think she's reading more into this than she should," I said.

"You can crash here tonight," I offered. "You can take the couch."

"The couch?" she asked exaggeratedly. "You have 3 bedrooms which we furnished with beds. Can I just take one of those? But no, I need to go home, I have an early breakfast thing with my parents."

"Your parents are back?"

"Not yet. Later tonight and they expect to find me at home," she answered.

"I can't drive you though," I replied, holding up my beer can. "We can take a taxi though," I added. "Do you need to go now?"

She checked the the flight schedule on her phone, "No, that's okay. Their flight is delayed."