#Committed

Michelle

"I'm actually thinking of moving out," Nate said.

I nodded in approval, and said, "Good for you. But you're not moving out of the country like I did, right?"

"Nothing that drastic. But I'm thinking of buying a condo close to Tia's."

"Whoa."

"I have enough money to afford one."

"Whoa, again," I said. "The first whoa is actually just about the proximity thing. But sure, I get it, you are loaded. But there are better places to spend your money."

"Condos are good investments."

"Is it?" I asked. "Actually, I know nothing about real estate, so I'll just take your word for it. But, you guys haven't been together that long, isn't that also kind of drastic. I mean, it's not move to another country drastic, but still pretty drastic."

"You done?"

"You might as well ask her to move in with you."

"Her religion is against that."

"Yah, I know. Too bad for you."

"I'm waiting for marriage."

"Really? Well, yah, me too," I conceded. "So, how will you tell your parents about this whole move out thing?"

"Assert my independence something...?"he replied, referencing my reason for moving out of the country.

Although, my mother actually did not take it so well initially. I actually spent a pretty long time not talking to her. But you know, at the end of the day, thankfully, she realized that I'm an adult now that is capable of making my own decisions (or mistakes).

"Financial independence," I corrected. "As in I didn't get a penny from my parents the whole time that I was living on my own. Do you actually have enough of your money to buy a condo? Your parents are loaded, but are you?"

"I'm their only son."

"Whoa, again. Are you going to dip into your inheritance now? To buy a condo in the other, very far end of the state? The Metro Rail doesn't even reach there."

"Are you going to add, for a girlfriend that you barely been dating? And you'll probably break up with?" he replied acidly.

"Um, no. I know how to use my inside voice for that sort of commentary."

"I am committed to Tia," he said firmly.

"Oh... kay, good for you, awesome for her. But-" I purposely left hanging.

"But what?" he challenged.

"Let's dial it back a little, buddy," I tried to soothe things. "First of all, moving out is already a pretty big deal. I cried a lot during my first year. And it was not because I am lonely. It's because I realized how useless I am. I never done laundry before. I am a god-awful cook. And I'm terrible at saving money and I get so lazy sometimes to go out to buy food, because winter is cold, so I actually ate a lot of cup noodles. My mother said that I ate so much preservatives, I can probably turn into a mummy. Do you want me to continue?"

He handed me my drink, "Take five."

I took a long sip of my drink, and then continued, "I can say a lot in one breath. But you get my point, right? It's not glamorous. It took me a long time before I can finally afford to rent a condo unit that is slightly close to the lifestyle that I was used to living with my parents. And the rent takes up like almost half of my salary. Hence, no savings." I took another long sip, and then kept going, "So save up your money, and then maybe wait until you are actually married and have kids before you buy – not a condo- but a lot and build a house or something."

"Are you done?" he asked.

"So far?"

"I pity your future whatever. He or she would never get a word in."

"If we're talking about marriage, then its probably a he. Because you know traditional Chinese, Protestant parents. My mom actually explicitly said that she's old-fashioned and she might not be okay with her daughter bringing a girl home."

"What about Ellie?"

"Exactly. So I told her not to worry that I'm more practical than that. Then she asked what does that have to do with practicality, and I honestly don't know what she wants me to say. It's practical because I don't want to deal with all that drama?"

"Oh, too bad. And sad."

"Yah. But hey, I'm over it, and at this point, I'll probably not get married at all. But I'd like to have a wedding though. Weddings are adorable."

He laughed.

"I actually did a wedding shoot once with my friends, for kicks. Dressing up as a bride just makes you feel so beautiful. It doesn't even matter that we don't have grooms."

"So we're moving on to talk about weddings now? If ever, I think I'll pass."

I just shook my head and laughed.

You know, weddings are all about the brides, anyway, right?