#KIT

Michelle

I had said, "Ditto," when he said "Thank you," during our senior high school retreat.

I had asked, "For what?" first, and he had replied, "You know, for everything."

And during our bus ride back to school, he went to sit next to me, my other seatmate was already asleep.

We talked about random things, like Goths and their fondness for cemeteries, and about our ears popping at the pressure of the bus driving down a mountain.

I feel as if we both wanted to say something more, but we never had the chance to,

Our Math teacher called him to the front of the bus, and their he sat the rest of the trip.

I feel as if that was our moment. That was the moment that will decide if we were just to remain friends, or if we could tell each other how we actually feel about each other, and become something else. But we missed it.

A moment, once lost, can never be gotten back.

And at the end of our high school graduation, I was standing near the entrance of our school, waiting for my parents to come pick me up, while he was on his way out, he picked up his camera, and took a picture at me. I had smiled, and said something lame like, "Keep in touch," and he had agreed.

But then we went to different colleges, we met new friends. And we just... drifted apart.

We'd still talk sometimes, and then the sometimes became less and less frequent, until we just stopped talking to one another.

Except during birthdays, and holidays. I always remembered to greet him on his birthday. Even if, he eventually forgot to greet me on mine.