#HallmarkCardGreetings

Michelle

It's his birthday today. I debated with myself for like a minute, whether I should greet him or not. I did. It's on Facebook. Most people don't really mean it when they greet each other on Facebook. It's just to add to the number.

I do that too, I even greet people I'm not close with. Because I figured if I like to see a lot of greetings on my wall, they probably do too.

There was a time when the only time that I get to talk to Nate is during holidays.

Christmases, obviously, because that's when I came back home. He'd throw a get together, and the squad would grab a fancy dinner, and then spend the night at some five-star hotel room and just talk all night about anything and everything. Of course, Nate always paid for everything. And he always got us thoughtful presents.

And then Mother's Day, because he's polite like that, and would ask me to greet my mom for him. I, actually, never did that. It would be a bit weird since my mom barely knows him.

Halloween, because he knows how much I love Halloween. I mean, who can say no to dressing up and free candy?

New Year, and we'd talk a bit about our resolutions. Not that we actually followed it. They were more like wishes than goals. Like, I'd wish that the game that I'm developing will finally be done, and people will finally get to play it. It was done, and on the AppStore and everything, but no, not many people wanted to play it.

And then there's Chinese New Year, and then he'd jokingly ask for an angpao- it's a red envelope filled with money. Our parents, godparents, grandparents, aunts and uncles give us those. Maybe that's why Chinese families, even though so big, is still so tight-knit. I have to admit, that's one of my reasons for visiting my relatives during the holidays. Forget candies, red envelopes are so much better.

I think he even greeted me during Easter. I appreciate Jesus giving his life and everything, but the the only thing I really cared about Easter is those chocolate bunnies, and colorful eggs.

Valentine's... Sometimes it's sweet, but at times it's a bit awkward. Especially the Valentine's after I rejected him. But he gave me flowers anyway, like every year, even when I lived in a different country.

And of course, the birthdays. When I wasn't around, he'd still greet me, and then FedEx his gifts. Although sometimes, I think the shipping fee is more expensive than the gift. but hey it's the thought that counts. And that thought touches me sometimes.

Although, I still miss when it was him trying to find me the perfect birthday present.

I love reading, I love books, and for a few consecutive years he'd accidentally get me books that I had just bought and read. Hey, it means he knows what I like, I'm just always one step ahead of him. And that's why he became really determined to get me the perfect birthday present.

As much as I appreciate material gifts, at the end of the day, a simple "Happy Birthday" would have been enough for me.As long as it was from him.

The Next Day

He liked my "Happy Birthday" post on his wall. He didn't comment or anything though.

I'm a bit tempted to add a comment, to tell him, "Hey, I'm in town. Do you want to get together and celebrate? We should catch up... There are things that I should tell you in person, because emails, Facebook, Twitter... they're not very reliable."

But I don't.

I don't think I will tell him anything beyond, "Happy Birthday" and "Merry Christmas".