#OnceUponAJollibee

#OnceUponAJollibee

Michelle

"Why Jollibee?" Nate questioned my choice for lunch. It is rather crowded and noisy.

"As a former OFW," I started. Even though I was a direct hire during my work stint in Taiwan, I consider myself an Overseas Filipino Worker, who misses Palabok Fiesta and Chicken Joy very much. "It's always my first meal back in the country," I added. It always is, because I always take red eye flights and Jollibee is the only thing open for 24 hours on our street.

"And other restaurants come and go, but Jollibee always stays the same," I commented as we sat down in a table in the same Jollibee that I used to eat at when I was working in the commercial business district the first time around, five years ago.

"You know how as a kid, burger and coke is a treat," I added. "But as an adult, I can eat them whenever I want. So why shouldn't I?"

"By whenever you want, you don't mean everyday, do you?"

I nodded enthusiastically, "Pretty much. It's the little joys in life, you know."

"I'm glad that this brings you joy."

"Are you're going to add, because little else does?"

"You're not exactly how I'd describe a joyful person."

Tia

Is that Nathaniel and Michelle? What are they doing in this area on a Saturday?

I'm only here because we need to deploy our system on Monday and we are nowhere close to being done. I need to work overtime the entire weekend, I'm lucky that we even have time for lunch.

"I found a table over there," Jake pointed to somewhere concealed enough, yet if I bend move a bit, I can still see them between this two guys head.

I don't know why I didn't just approach them and say Hi, like a normal person.

"Stop thinking about work. It will give you an indigestion," Jake said as he took a bite of his burger.

"I'm not," I replied. "That's my boyfriend," I pointed subtly.

He sneaked a peek at them and made a noise, "Huh." And then he moved a bit to get a better look at them.

"And she's... one of our close friends," I explained, even though he didn't ask.

"Well, rest assured, they are not on a date," he said.

I looked at him.

"Because people don't go on dates in Jollibees," he explained himself.

"And why can't they?"

"Well, it's the opposite of romantic," he answered.

"Why? Does dates have to be a candle light dinner with champagne and waiters dressed like penguins?"

He laughed at the last bit.

"Not everyone's a snob," I added.

"You're right," he agreed. "Why can't people go on dates in Jollibee? Who cares if the forks are plastic? And it's too loud for conversation."

I replied by picking up with chicken with my hands and taking a big bite.

"But she looks like one," he added. "And he kind of does too."

They are though. I'm kind of surprised that Michelle even eats fast food. I look at them and they're pale skin and small eyes do look a little out of place in a sea of people with significantly darker skin.

"No offense," Jake started, which usually means that he will say something offensive.

I don't get why people say that.

"But they look more like a couple than..." he trailed, as we both observe Michelle toss a fry that landed square in Nathaniel's face, and he just faux frowned in response.

"Why? Because they are both Chinese?" I asked a little too quickly.

Even though they look out of place, they are exactly where they belong- with each other. And that gets to me.