#FakeRelationships

Michelle

"Yes, we're done," Nate told his mother on the phone.

"We saw one. It has three bedrooms," he continued.

"Yes, it's within my budget," I continued to eavesdrop on one side of his conversation.

His mom continued talking for quite some time.

"Um, sure. I'll ask her," he finally said.

He turned to me and asked, "Do you have plans for dinner?"

I shook my head.

"Dinner with my parents?" he asked.

"Why?" I mouthed.

"I'll explain later," he mouthed in return.

"Sure, why not," I replied.

"Yes, she'd love to," he replied to his mother.

His mother said a few more things.

"Okay, we'll see you later. Bye!" he said before hanging up.

"So why are your parents inviting me to dinner?" I asked.

"Oh, because they still think that you're my girlfriend," he replied casually. "And we just spent the afternoon looking at condos."

Wait, wait, wait. "What?" I reacted quite loudly, luckily we are in his car and nobody else could have heard me.

"My grandmother's thingy?" he reminded.

"That's a one time thing," I replied. "And that's a while ago. I mean haven't you introduced them to Tia since then? You know, as your actual girlfriend?"

"Actually, no," he answered.

"Is this dinner where you'd, I don't know, come clean?" I asked. "And haven't Tia met your parents? Or even your mom?"

He shook his head.

Back when we were in college, Nate's mom was always in the car when he dropped me home. His mother wasn't even the one driving. They have a driver, and Nate would sit in the passenger seat, while his mom and I sat at the back.

And he's saying that Tia never even met his mother? How is that fair?

"But you've been dating officially for a while now. I mean, you are buying a condo near her office. You're one step from asking her to move in with you. Or more..." I trailed as some other thought clicked in my head. "I can't meet your parents. They'd think that I'm the one you plan to..." I am honestly a little freaked out.

While he still look so calm and collected.

"Are they going to evaluate me as see if I check off their future in law requirements list?" I continued.

He just laughed.

"You are actually kind of cute in that freak out state," he said with an eyebrow raised.

"Ha," I replied.

"You don't have to worry about a thing," he claimed. "Because one, you're not my girlfriend. And two, you do check off their... what was it again? Future in law requirements list?"

"But one, I'm not your girlfriend. So why are we continuing this fake relationship thing?"

He considered it for a long while. Too long while, it's seriously unnerving.