#Surprise

Tia

Michelle texted me, inviting me to lunch. Her treat she had added. She must be feeling guilty about something, I thought remembering how perfect she and Nate looked together.

"I saw you and Nate at Jollibee the other day," I said directly as soon as we had ordered our food.

"Really? Why didn't you say 'hi'?" she asked.

"What were you doing in this area on a weekend?" I asked.

"That's a surprise," she replied with a twinkle in her eye. "And you didn't answer my question."

"I was with a colleague," I replied.

"A guy?" she asked. "You could've introduced us."

Why would she immediately assume that it's a guy? Does she think that I'm the one hiding something? Although, seeing my boyfriend and not approaching him, is a little weird.

"He's not your type," I answered, thinking about Jake's similarly dark skin

"Why? He doesn't look like Snowden?"

"Snowden?"

"You know, the whistle blower."

"Um, no. He's not chinito."

"Oh yah. You're right. Not my type."

"Oh and he's gender fluid," I added. In case, Michelle starts getting ideas.

"Interesting," she replied cryptically.

"So, why did you want to meet up? Does it have anything to do with your surprise?"

"Oh, the surprise is not from me. From Nate," she clarified. "But before that, I'd like to know if you two are really on the same page."

"So what is it?" Very curious. When she put it like that, it's as if- "He's not shopping for a ring, is he?" I asked, a little excited and a little nervous at the same time.

"Uh, no," she answered quickly. "Not that big a surprise," she said. "I mean, you haven't even told him that you love him. Even though we both know that you do."

"I do," I confirmed. "I just..." I trailed. What was I suppose to say? I didn't say it back because I wasn't sure that we were on the same page?

"Is that something that you're saving for your future husband or something? Like your first kiss or your... you know."

"No, no. I'm not. And about the first kiss thing..." I trailed as her eyes widened.

Then she clapped her hands, "Bravo, Tia. I had no idea you had it in you."

"So, what's the surprise?" I asked again.

"Ha," she deadpanned. "But how was it? Your first kiss?" she asked, her eyes leering for gossip. "Just to clarify, it's with Nate, right?"

"Yes. It's with Nate," I answered. And there was fireworks. Not that I'll tell her that.

"Oh... kay," she considered her next move.

"So, what's the surprise?" I tried my luck again.

She actually laughed this time, and said, "Baiting you is so fun. Anyway, I care about both of you very much. So don't go breaking each others hearts, okay?"

Nate and I have been together for a while now, but why is she trying to be protective only now?

What is the surprise? Oh gosh, this is going to keep me awake tonight.