#BackAtTheBeginning

Michelle

"What are you still doing here?" I asked Nate. He was leaning against his car in the parking lot of Tia's church. "Actually, why were you here in the first place?"

"I should ask you the same thing," he replied.

"I told her I'm sorry."

"You didn't need to do that. I'm the one who's sorry."

I nodded.

"Is she okay?" he asked.

"No, of course not," I replied. "But she will be," I added.

"My mom invited you to lunch," he replied instead.

"Isn't it a little late? We will never make it with the traffic."

"I suppose not."

"It's not fair though," I said, thinking of Tia. "Tia broke up with her boyfriend and then lost her best friend."

He frowned.

"You're her best friend," I told him.

He sighed, and replied, "That's why we don't date friends, huh."

"You should thank me then."

"For what?"

"For never dating you. Then we could always be friends."

He laughed, and then replied, "That's because I'm nice. Most guys wouldn't."

"Thank goodness you're such a nice guy then," I said mockingly. "So Mr. Nice Guy. What are you going to do about Tia?"

"I honestly don't know," he replied. "Give her some time, I guess."

"Do you still love her? Do you want her back?"

"I do... want her back," he replied.

I noted he didn't say 'I do' to my first question.

-

A car parked next to Nate's, and the guy who climbed out glared at him before going into the church.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Tia's colleague," he answered.

"I guess he heard about the break up, and what an awful person you are."

"Huh. I thought he had a crush on me," he joked.

"Yah, breaking up with Tia means crush over."

A minute later, Tia came out with her colleague and climbed into his car. He whispered something in her ear and she turned to look at us.

She didn't glare like he did though, instead the look she gave us is... I don't know... I think you never know true sadness until you see it in someone's eyes.

And that made me feel terrible.

"Do you need a ride home?" he asked.

"Uh no," I replied, still focused on Tia, as their car drove away.

"How are you getting home?" he asked.

"My driver is waiting for me."

"Your driver?"

"Technically my mother's driver. Yes, I had a driver the whole time," I said. "I just like bumming rides off you," I added, answering whatever questions he might have formed in his head. "Anyway, I'll see you around," I lied.

I don't know, somehow after Tia's look, I don't think I should see Nate anymore. Not even as a friend.

Tia

I think we are back at the beginning.

With me pining and crying over Nathaniel who only have eyes for her.

At least I have Jake beside me now, as he quietly drives with no destination in mind.

I didn't know where to go. I just know that I wanted to get away.

I wanted to get away from them- Nathaniel, who was looking so handsome as he leaned against his car, while talking to her, who was looking so pretty with her arms crossed defensively in front of her as she always does.

I wish I could hate them.

But I couldn't. I could never hate them.

I could never hate Nathaniel.

I could never hate her.

Except I'm not quite at the beginning, because I'm not sure I can go back to the friendzone.

Mostly, I don't think I can go back to being friends with Nathaniel.

Or her. Definitely not her.