#GoingVeganForFakeRelationships

Michelle

After not talking to me for what feel like a really long time, Nate suddenly texted me:

Hey, My grandma's death anniversary this weekend. Be my date?

Date? And wait, his grandma's death anniversary? She's dead?

I replied:

Wrong text. I'm not Tia. Us hanging out is not called "date". Also your grandma died?! When did this happen? Are you okay?

He replied:

Yes. 3 years ago. It's vegan at the temple.

Oh, I see, the Taoist or was it Buddhist thing. It's funny how Chinese can be Catholics or Protestants, but still have Taoist traditions. I guess, it's more of a culture thing, than religion. One of my friend's house used to have a Baby Jesus sculpture holding Buddha beads.

And I see, no wonder, he's not asking Tia.

Tia, however, is not so accepting of other religions and cultures.

I replied:

I'm so sorry about your grandma. You could've told me. I could've been there for you.

He replied:

It's hard to be there for someone, if you're not really there. Besides, you're here now, and that's what matters. Like I said, vegan at the temple. Beware of my relatives though.

Oh great, he wants me to pretend to be his fake girlfriend. I think his family suspected that he has a girlfriend, but he hasn't introduced Tia yet. And I don't think he'll introduce her anytime soon.

In the mean time... What? I'm supposed to go behind my best girl friend's back and pretend to be her very real boyfriend's girlfriend?

I replied:

Vegan? Steak after?

He replied:

Fine. Just say yes. And don't tell Tia.

Oh, and he wants me to lie about it too.

I replied:

I'm not lying to Tia.

He replied:

I didn't ask you to lie. Just don't tell her. Say yes? A little desperate. Whole family will be there. And they're all dying to meet my new girlfriend.

I replied:

Right. Maybe you should just bring your real new girlfriend.

He replied:

You know that I can't. And she can't either. So why bother? Besides, you did say that parents love you.

I replied:

So when you actually plan to introduce Tia to your parents, what then?

He replied:

That's future Nate's problems. Present Nate needs to please relatives and his first grandson expectations.

Right, first grandson expectations...

I replied:

Fine. But if anyone brings up marriage and great grandchildren-

He replied:

We're still young...

I replied:

I won't run into anyone my parents' or my relatives might know, right?

He replied:

Can't promise. But win-win, right?

I replied:

No. But fine. Because I'm nice like that.

He replied:

I'll pick you up around 11?

Nathaniel

I know I should have just asked Tia. But it's too early in the relationship to bring parents and relatives into the mix.

Damn it. I shouldn't have been so obvious.

Oh well, Mich can just deal with them. She's good at nosy relatives, because I bet hers are just as judgmental... racists... and tactless.

"So this is your new girlfriend," my loudest aunt said as we came in through the door. I can see approval in her eyes.

"This is Michelle," I introduced as Mich gave one of her perfect smiles, and then proceeded to speak to my aunt in Mandarin, which I don't understand. I can see my relatives actually nod in approval.

Good job, Nate. Now, if only she's actually my girlfriend.

I leave Mich with my nosy aunts, she can handle herself.

"One of your aunts went to school with one of my aunts..." Mich said when we are finally leaving.

The nice and funny thing about Chinese traditions is that, death anniversaries are not sad or somber, it's actually just as yappy and noisy as any Chinese reunion. And that makes the whole dying part better I think. Because my grandma is in a better place.

Actually, anywhere away from the yappy relatives is a better place.

"So... busted?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Nah, that's okay. They haven't talked since high school, and that's ages ago."

"Thanks."

"Don't thank me. Just feed me," she said with a grin.

"Sure, fattie."

"Never ever call a girl fat."

"I call it as it is."

"Hey, so what did you tell Tia?" she asked.

"About what?"

"This... that?"

"I didn't tell her about it. What's the point?"

"Doesn't being in a relationship mean that you should be honest with each other?"

"I didn't lie to her."

"Yah, conveniently leaving things out, might also count as lying."

"Is that what her Bible says?"

"And you're going to say that her Bible and her Church bans her from going to Chinese temples..."

"It is what it is."

She doesn't reply.

"I just want to avoid conflict for as long as possible," I continued. "Thank you, by the way. It means a lot to me."

"No problem. What are conveniently Chinese female friends for, right?" she replied with a smirk.

"So did anyone ask you when's our wedding?" I asked with a grin.

She laughed. "Yes. And I told them to ask you."

"Great!" I answered sarcastically.

"Relatives, right?" she replied with a laugh. "You really can't live with them. Unless it's Chinese New Year or your birthday and they have thick red envelops."

I laughed.

"I'm sorry, though. About not being there for you then," she replied, suddenly somber.

"That's okay. I'm okay."

"I know you two were close."

"Well, she's in a better place."

She just nodded in response.