#Courtship

Tia

I like the idea of courtship. It's when a guy likes a girl and does everything in his power to impress her, make her happy.

Nate is courting me, right? I mean, he never told me he liked me or anything, but he does all these things to make me happy. He knows how much church means to me, and he shows up almost every Sunday.

Even if he showed up with her.

But apparently she had convinced him to talk to my father about the Bible Quiz. The gatekeeper on whether or not Nate can even think about courting me- my father's words, not mine.

I hope he passes. Mich said she helped him review. Although I'm not quite sure about her expertise on the subject.

I once had a colleague ask me why we needed to have a religion class every year from kindergarten till high school, isn't the bible just one book? I laughed and replied, "it's a pretty long book".

It is a pretty long book and I hope he passes.

Michelle

One of my male colleagues never had a girlfriend and never courted anyone in his life, because he thinks the ROI is too low.

I laughed, and suggested that he just get himself a mail-order bride. And he told me, that's what he's uncle did, and he even informed me that his uncle and his Vietnamese wife is very happy with each other.

I was kidding about the mail-order bride thing, I had no idea that it was real.

But he added that he wouldn't do that because he'd want to marry someone Chinese, he'd like to keep his bloodline pure. How typical Chinese of him.

A couple of my Chinese friends parents and grandparents insist on that too. And most of that couple of Chinese friends are responsible enough to turn off the attraction switch on everyone that's of a different race.

Although come to think of it, I have so far only been in crush with fellow Chinese. Could it be that I have already been programmed to do so. So much so, that I even do it unconsciously.

But not all everyone, who courted me before are Chinese.

So I always give the classic, "I like someone else". And then the whole, "we can still be friends" thing.

I think that courtship is only romantic when it's from someone that you actually like. Otherwise, it can actually border on annoying.

But hey, I still don't say no to the gifts and the flowers and the chocolates. Because seriously, who would say no to gifts? I'm not a total fan of flowers, but they are quite pretty dried up and dead. And I'm sorry if I have a weakness for Ferrero.

I don't really know why they give me gifts, is it because I look like a sad puppy that needs to be thrown a bone? Or do I look that materialistic, that my affections can be bought.

Anyway, in my defense, I do you know friendzone them immediately after they actually say the words. The "hey, I like you," words.

Well, but most of them seem to think that actions speak louder.

Except really actions don't require a response. So I usually get to milk them for a little while before they, well, not taking the friendzone so well, stop talking to me.

You are right, courtship- I would never do that. ROI is too low.

-

"Courtship – it's all about putting their best foot forward," I told Tia. "It's not actually who they are."

She nodded, even though I can see that she don't quite agree with me.

"What if you get married and then you find out that he's really disgusting at home," I asked.

She made a face.

Nate is in her father's office, taking the much talked about, much worried over (on his and her side) Bible Quiz. And Tia is stuck in one of the pews in the main hall of their church with me.

Her anxiousness causing her lack of replies is quite adorable.

"We'll never know," I said with a shrug.

"It's a shame live-in is frowned upon," I continued.

She exasperated. "Of course it should be," she snapped.

I grinned. It's like that time I mentioned sex when she asked about those romance novels. She is so tightly wound, and anything with even a hint of promiscuity makes her twitch.

"It's like a trial marriage," I said.

"With premarital sex!" A sin.

"It doesn't have to be," I replied.

And she just raised an eyebrow.

Right, just good old fashioned courtship then.