#YouGotMail

Michelle

An email from him. Oh my f-ing god. My heart is beating way out of pace, and I can hardly breath.

Let's just click on it, and get it over with:

Hi M,

So sorry it took me so long to reply. I changed emails. I was just cleaning out some of my old stuff, and saw your letter- four years too late. I am really really sorry.

So how have you been? Maybe we can get together the next time you come home for visit.

– C

Dammit! I was punked by the email system. He didn't mean to ignore me. He just never read my email.

Okay, take deep breaths.

I did notice that he did not mention my whole confession. And he still thinks that I'm abroad.

I replied:

Hi,

Actually I'm back home. For good. We can get together anytime. How about next Saturday? Do you want to grab coffee?

-M

Look at me, trying to act all casual, while asking him out.

Oh god, I hope he replies.

And he did:

Great! Same old place? See you then.

Great! I'm finally going to see him, like in real life. Not just in dreams.

I am very very nervous. Should I even bring up the fact that I'm still... like... in love with him?

Saturday

"Hey," he greeted me with a smile.

"Hey yourself," I replied. Then I noticed the girl behind him.

"This is Jill, my girlfriend," he introduced.

"Hi, you must be Mich," Jill said. "So you're the one who just packed her bags and moved out of the country-"

"Did he tell you that I left to find myself? Or find-"

"Guys," he answered.

I laughed awkwardly.

"Nah, he told me that you wanted to be independent. And I thought that was kind of cool. I've always wanted to just move out of my parents place, but they'd never let me," she said. "How was it?"

"Exhilarating," I replied. "I could eat cake for dinner, and no one could stop me."

"So why did you come back?" he asked.

"Work," I replied.

"I see," he replied. "So you're back for good?"

"I mean, for now."

"Cool, so I guess we can see each other more often," he said. "Mich was one of my closest friends in high school," he explained to his girlfriend.

"But college and work happened, and we lost touch," I added.

"And she moved to another country," he added.

"So what's it like coming back? Did you miss this place?" his girlfriend asked.

"I realized that I don't really miss places or people or things," I answered. "I miss moments. I missed having coffee with this guy-"

"Because I've always been great company."

"Yes, he was."