#LaptopsAndFunerals

Nathaniel

My job description didn't always disappoint Tia.

I used to work as Technical Support at a multinational company, but that was the worst job I've ever had.

Sure, it had all the standard issue corporation perks like Beer Fridays and Catered Lunches. But that just meant that sometimes you'd be stuck in a meeting with supervisor that smells like booze and should probably take the rest of the day off.

We got paid for overtime, which is okay. Because I had a lot of overtimes then.

I even had to bring my laptop to my grandmother's funeral.

And that was my tipping point.

I quit shortly after that, because I'd rather be doing data mining for gambling than having to work during my grandmother's funeral.

It made sense to me. But not so much to Tia.

Of course, for Tia, work always comes first. She spends the night at the office all the time and never complains when her boss asks her to come in on weekends- even Sundays!

Tia had been working in the same company since she graduated and since their company is not corporate and there are a lot of seniors, she had never been promoted, and her salary never increased significantly.

I keep telling her to quit her job or that she's in an abusive relationship with her job, but she never listened to me. She always says that she can't leave them hanging.

But really, I think that companies will be just fine when their employees quit. They can always hire new people.

While, employees, if you've been in the same company for the past five years and is still doing the same thing you were doing, it's time to go. Because you won't be fine staying.

"I can't quit my job," Tia told me last time. "I'm paying rent and utilities, remember?"

Yes, I remember. Her parents are both pastors and their job is not about making money. But if that meant that their only daughter can't even quit her job even if that's making her miserable, then there is something wrong about that.

"That's why our priests can't get married," Gemma, who is also Catholic, had commented about the matter. "It makes a lot of sense. Because then they can truly dedicate themselves to the Church."

It does make a lot of sense. But I'm not going to speak against Tia's religion and their practices.

It just makes me feel a little sad for her.