#60 - Ross Lynch

"Hello?"

"Hello, who's this?"

"I know you said not to call unless I'm dying but," there was a sharp breath intake from the other end of the line. "I don't feel too well. I'm laying here and I can't keep my eyes open, and even though they're closed I still see you. I just hope that when you see me I'm not see through."

"Ross. What are you on about?"

"A friend gave me some pills and I had some drinks, God knows what was in them..I think I'm dying." I slurred.

"I swear to God, if this is a prank."

"I'm serious!" I shouted. "I can't open my eyes very well."

"Oh my goodness, you're actually crazy."

"Only when I'm without you."

"Oh shut up, you dick." I heard her sigh, the rustling of car keys. "Are you in Colorado or California?"

"California."

"Where?"

"The flats by the college. 5th floor, number 32, there's a- a plant outside with a spare key."

"Okay, okay."

When I broke up with Sarah, there were pretty firm agreements; we were only to call each other if one of us was dying, and I believe I was very close to so that day.

Our story begins Senior year. I fell madly in love with the girl in my AP Chemistry class, and she made me the happiest person in the world. As an art student, she was my muse. I could spend hours drawing every part of her, but I could never get enough.
Until one day, out of boredom, I stole a bottle of cheap wine from the liquor store whilst with her. We celebrated by running back to my car and driving to the outskirts of town, where we drank and spent the night together.

Sarah was a legal high, a blonde, blue- eyed drug no parent could warn their child about. She was alluring for all the right reasons.

To this day, our break up makes my heart twitch in my chest. It was sudden, that's all; she one day decided that we weren't working together anymore, I became angry, backed up her point and that's how our love story came to an abrupt end.

I knew I was going to live when I heard the front door open. "Oh Jesus, Ross, I'm here now."

I mumbled, unable to speak anymore. The tap opened briefly, and then I felt her grab me by the shirt and throw my arm around hers.

"Ross, you have to help me." She grunted, attempting to pull me to my feet. "Where's your bathroom?"

I pointed miserably, still unable to see much. Singlehandedly, she dragged me to the bathroom and pushed me into my knees.

"Stop freaking out, you idiot. You have to throw up." She forced my mouth open. "I'm not going to put my fingers in- fucking hell."

The moment I felt myself convulsing was when anything and everything came spelling out of my mouth, seconds after her fingertips touched the back of my throat. It was disgusting, but it could've potentially saved my life.

I knew I should've stopped writhing around like a dying fish, because I smacked my head so hard into the side of the toilet that I knocked myself out.

***

"You're awake."

"Yes." I rubbed my eyes, noticing how much more tidy my living room was. Coming from the kitchen was Sarah, looking tired as she sipped coffee from one of my mugs. "Why are you here?"

"You're something else, you asshole." She shook her head. "You were high and drunk off your head and thought you were going to die so I had to make you throw up, endure you thrashing around until you hit your head and almost dive heads first into a toilet full of your vomit. Then I had to brush your teeth, wash your face, change you, throw you here and tidy up because it looked like a tornado had ran through your house." She said.  "It improved when you passed out."

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine, I'll live." She shrugged it off and looked at the multiple canvasses scattered around my apartment. "You're very talented. You always were."

"Thank you, Sarah." I fiddled with the blanket over me. The blondie nodded calmly before curling up on the other side of the couch. The way sunlight reflected on her and her now dyed hair was irresistible; she was a walking artwork.

It's been years since we've been around one another for such a long time without saying anything. But I killed the silence. "Did you miss me?"

"Huh?" She snapped to life. "Well, yes. You were my first love, I can't just forget about you."

I fiddled with my hands. "Do you remember us?"

"Are you still high?" She laughed. "I do of course, we were like the lowkey Bonnie and Clyde of Cali."

"I know." I smiled. "I also miss it when you would swear at me in Spanish."

"Shut it, puta."

We both burst out laughing. "How's life treating you, Ross?"

"Not too bad, majoring in art, don't speak to my parents, by myself for weeks on end. You tell me." I said. "Yourself?"

"My life is a mess. I'm in an abusive relationship with a control freak, my family is just a game of money and wealth, I have no say in my future." She sighed. "Why am I telling you all of this, you're just my ex.."

"Run away with me."

"Oh, piss off Ross. We both know I-"

"Can. And will, with enough persuasion." I sat up. "One week, and I'll show you that life with me is worth living, if you aren't convinced, I'll disappear from your life."

I watched as her brain processed my words and she then nodded. "Fine."

rlly want to write this