#62 - Ross Lynch

It was like watching Royalty from afar. They looked like regular people, they didn't need crowns to accentuate that they were above the rest of us in every aspect.

There was four of them; Maddie and Tristan Tiller, Ethan Green and Ross Lynch. The cool kids, or Carries, as the whole school came to know them. Teachers assumed the name of their posse derived from Maddie's middle name; Carrie is another word for cocaine, a thing they spent most of their time and money on.

To this day, I don't understand how I came to hang around with them. All of the boys intimidate me, and Maddie is usually hard to please. But, ever since I helped her with Chemistry, she grew fond of me.

Me being an introverted outcast with a friend count of one - Becca. She despised then with her life, labelling them as 'soulless drug machines'. She doesn't understand how I came to be with them.

However everyday, for the last two weeks, I get up, find the best outfit I can put together in two minutes and drive to school. Today was one of these mornings, and I was in the last stages of my daily routine when Ross slammed my locker door shut.

We may now be hanging together but I rarely speak, or even look at him. He was taller, stronger and had a tongue as sharp as a katana, usually meaning I was the target of his evil jokes over the last few years. He reminded me of the lower Group 1 metal - highly reactive and impulsive; I think he has anger issues, along with the fact he constantly smelled like a mix of cologne and the soil after rain.

I jumped at the action. "What was that for?!"

"Maddie's missing." He barked briefly. 

I blinked. He remained motionless, his stillness freaking me out. "You what?!"

"She's gone, Tristan went to wake her up and she was gone, leaving only a letter on her bed." He handed me a beat up letter, produced from his pocket. I skimmed her handwriting quickly, the letter ending with a riddle. "You read weirdly."

"What do you mean?" I plucked up the courage to look into his whiskey coloured eyes. Surprisingly, he averted his gaze.

"I don't know, you do it really fast."

"I enjoy reading, that's all." I handed him the piece of paper back. "Have you warned the police?"

He produced a low laugh. "Do you not know anything about Maddie? Did she not tell you?"

"Clearly not, if I asked."

"Well I'm not a snitch so you'll have to find your way with that." He said. "But, I don't know what to do."

"Are you busy after school?"

"Damn, I didn't know you were one to screw guys that fast-"

"No, you idiot! To talk about this-"

"About what?" Becca appeared beside me and I almost fell into the lockers.

"Maddie's-"

"On holiday." Ross' hand clamped over my mouth. "You know, girl time for herself, see if she doesn't spill anything to anybody."

I took the hint, removing his hand from my face. "Yeah."

"Okay..? Anyway, we have Maths to get to." She looked to Ross. "Are you coming?"

"No, I'm in holding all day, which means walking around school until I finally bunk." He faked giving me a hug. "That cafe near the first florist in Beverly Hills, meet me at the back."