#69 - Ross Lynch

Apologies that majority of this book is Ross but
a) OG Ross girl over here
b) 2/5 of R5 are irritating me
c) the next one will definitely be Rydellington

I thought I was going crazy when the small cream envelope was pushed through my letterbox. It was madness, for me.

That my first everything (who was a hardcore player 5 years ago) was in fact settling down with one of my friends from high school.

Ross was getting married today, and something even more shocking was that I had pulled myself up from a week of sorrow and dressed up and ready to go. Sierra, my roommate, appeared in my room as I stared at myself in the mirror. "You okay?"

"I'll be fine. I'm over him, I think." I said, looking at myself. "Was I not good enough? I mean, it's selfish, but I could be the one getting married to him today."

"Ophelia, don't sweat it. You broke up because you had to go to college, and his was in New York. It doesn't mean he stopped loving you; he probably didn't, but, you'll find somebody to marry and then you can invite him and see how it feels."

"It's not about that." I grabbed my clutch and the thin present. A pair of tickets to see Panic! At The Disco live. "I'll text you when I get there."

"Have fun, dear." She squeezed me into a hug and sprayed me with some of her own perfume. I smiled, smoothing down my skirt.

I decided to go simple; a baby pink top with some lace details and it's matching chiffon skirt with some white heels. I turned out of the driveway, heading out of town to the chapel.

Today Ross married Ruby Mole, a girl who only spoke in whispers and scored straight As in all of her lessons. She could be considered a nerd, but was a killer jiu jitsu fighter. I haven't seen her in years, but I remember her hair always pinned up and her freckly cheeks always hidden behind her glasses.

A total opposite of Ross back then, who was loud, witty, assertive and very good with persuasion and getting what he wanted. It was his confidence that initially attracted me to him, but I then got to know him better & he truly grew on me.

I found a parking space, and shot Sierra a text before walking out into the sun and up the white marble steps, the humdrum of voices audible from outside.

It was packed; I didn't realise they knew that many people altogether. Awkward, out of place me strolled in, looking for familiar faces. It was a lonely walk to a spare seat & I was about to turn into a slightly empty pew when a voice stopped me. "Ophelia, you made it! I'm so happy to see you."

It was Ross, who didn't hesitate to give me a hug. I held it together nicely, simply enjoying his very tight and long lasting embrace. He eventually pulled away, grinning.

He looked identical, just older &I in a suit.

"You look pretty much the same too," he chuckled. "I'm really glad you came, you know Ruby said there was a chance you wouldn't-"

"No, no. I had to, it's your big day, stud." I smiled, ignoring my heart breaking all over again.

Rydel appeared at the doors of the church, "The Bride has arrived!"

Ross looked at me nervously. "Wish me luck, and ignore me if I start crying."

"Sure." I chuckled.

"Ophelia, dearest!" Rydel jogged over to me. "Come sit with us."

+++
The reception was beautiful, set in the midst of a blooming forest which meant the floor was mainly covered with cherry blossoms & white roses. To my luck (!) I shared a table with the newlyweds and the rest of the family.

It wasn't hard to see why Ross decided to marry Ruby- she ditched her thick glasses for contact lenses, dyed her hair blonde and looked as toned as ever. She was perfect for him, and I clearly wasn't.

"You okay?" Rocky turned to me. "You've been pretty quiet lately."

"Oh I'm fine, just coming down with a cold, so talking feels a bit weird."
I forced a smile, which Ross retuned.

"Also, here's your present." I handed it to him.

"Phelie, you didn't have to," he rolled his eyes playfully, but quickly tore away at the wrapping paper. He stared at the two pieces of card. "I freaking love you."

"What is it?" Rydel chimed in curiously. I blushed at his words.

"Two Panic! At The Disco front block tickets, Ophelia, this is massive. How could I ever thank you?"

I chuckled. "Take your wife for a night out, I suppose."

"I don't enjoy concerts very much.." She replied. "But I'm sure the two of you can go together, bands are your kind of thing."

"It's a plan." Ross shrugged, then turned to her. "Shall we dance?"

She giggled, and then followed him to the dance floor, soon lost within the dancing couples. I brought the glass of apple juice to my lips and sipped.

"Ophelia, may we?" Rocky stood up. I shook my head. "I'm not taking no for an answer, come on."

With a grunt, I allowed him to pull me over to the dance floor and the two of us swayed gently to the music. "You look literally the same, but your hair is much longer."

"It was in a pixie cut for most of senior year when I had my rebel phase, Rocky." I chuckled. "But thank you, I clearly wasn't the only one experiencing hair growth."

He twirled me. "I suppose. How's life treating you?"

"Alright, got my Art & Design major and a roommie who is lovely. Isn't so bad, I suppose." I said. "Yourself, well I must say you're pretty well off with NHL so,"

"Oh shush, but yes, I love it. You should come watch a game soon."

"Sounds lovely."

"May I steal her?" Ross approached us, and Rocky nodded before running off to grab food. Blondie now resumed dancing with me. "Are you having a good time?"

"Yes, of course. How about you?"

"Loving it. It's surreal."

"Wow, married for two hours and you're already all soppy." I chuckled. "Cute. Are you going anywhere for your honeymoon?"

"Not until June, Ruby's in line for a promotion." He looked down for a split second. "I feel like me moving was a mistake. Me leaving you was a mistake."

"What?"

"It should have been the two of us getting married today, Ophelia. We're meant to be."

"Ross, you're married now. There is nothing you can do. Plus, maybe we weren't meant to be, I suppose the odds were against us. But I just hope you never forget me, I beg you. Sometimes we last in love but sometimes it hurts instead." my voice finally cracked. "I wish nothing but the best for you. I have to go."