#63 - Rydellington

*football = soccer

"Rydel. This isn't a good idea, those guys are actually vicious." Millie jogged to keep up with my strides. "Slow down! I feel more nervous than you, I think."

"I am nervous, but they can kill me." I said, entering the football centre. Even the receptionist looked at me weird before handing me a card to enter the girl's locker room, Millie now walking beside me.

I tossed my sports bag into a locker, grabbing a scrunchie, water bottle and shin pads only. I adjusted them on, then tied my hair up, Millie watching me. "Stop looking at me like that, you make me even more nervous."

"Soz." She said in her adorable British accent, which I still haven't adopted after living in London for 7 years. "I just want to see how they'll react to a girl playing football, especially them."

I knew who she meant by them; the boys in our year of course, who all sucked up to Ellington as if he was their source of life. Like me, Ellington Ratliff is American, only that he's exceptionally popular for his promiscuous ways and football skills.

If I was being brutally honest, I would say people look up to him because they are as brainless as he is. I steer away from him; he physically makes me want to throw up because he's so far up his own ass.

The moment I set my foot in the 5-aside pitch, all eyes and whispers came in my direction, followed by a couple of wolf whistles I decided to look beyond because I am not a dog to be whistled at.

Ellington and his friends turned around, all sharing the same shocked expression. I briefly looked at them and turned around, Millie almost shoving my bottle down my throat whilst she waved.

She was the total opposite of me; to date one of them would be a life accomplishment for her. I don't see why, I never will.

"Do your thing, yeah?" She smiled and patted my shoulder as I walked to the ref. "Go Rydel!!"

"Shut up!" I hissed at her. The ref smiled at me. "I want to play."

"Are you sure you don't want to wait another round, darling? These boys can be pretty rough-"

"Oh well, plus Oliver's team is missing a player." I pointed to my chemistry buddy, Oliver. He was kind, and accepted I played football like a guy, only that I wasn't particularly welcome as they were about to play agains Ellington, Riker, Rocky, Mason and Tyler.

Like expected, Oliver assumed the position as striker and placed me as a lousy midfielder. However, once I heard the whistle, I was off on one.

Until I was knocked over and grazed the whole of my left arm. The ref blew the whistle. "That was a definite foul."

"You only say that because she's a girl!" Ellington yelled from the other side of the camp.

"Are you doing this because I'm a girl?" I asked him.

"I-"

"Well, don't!" I ordered. "Treat me as one of them, please."

"As you wish, love." He jogged away, resuming the fast-paced match.

It wasn't long until they pretty much had us by the balls and we're just messing with us, three goals to them and only one to us because Mason scored at the wrong goal.

"You're doing good!!" Millie tried to cheer me on as I jogged past her side, when I found the ball passed to me and absolutely nobody in front of me, so I advanced for the goal, when 6 foot something Rocky was keeping up with me, desperately trying to take the ball from me.

I stopped, his momentum causing him to continue a few steps in front of me. I dribbled around him and scored with an effortless kick.

"Pure luck." Ellington rolled his eyes.

"Pure skill." I muttered as I jogged past him, leaving him gobsmacked.

The same happened twice more, a goal by Will and then a header by moi, and that was how we won.

As I chugged the rest of my Powerade, Ellington jogged over. "You're pretty good for a girl."

"Thanks." I said.

"I wonder if that's the only thing you're good at, if you get me." He winked.

I grimaced. "No. You're disgusting, and delusional to think a simple compliment would make me want to have sex with you. Get a grip."

"Handjobs are cool-"

"Go away." I snapped.

"Meow. Someone's on their p-"

He was pointing at me, therefore seized his index finger and yanked him down to my level. "If you want to keep this finger, I suggest you leave, now."

"Alright, blondie. Don't have a hissy fit." He chuckled. "I like the tough cookies."

I scoffed at him, then turned away. Millie fanned herself with her hands. "Jesus, anymore of that and I would've had to jump into a pool in the middle of February. That sexual tension was killer."

"Are you sure it wasn't hate, they can be similar."

"Nope. Admit it, he's quite fit."

"Nah," I took off my boots, smacking them together as grass congregated on the floor below. "I'll pass."

***

Football takes my mind off three things; my brother, mum and dad & school.

My brother Ross (or the middle child), suffers with Cystic Fibrosis, which involves him carrying an oxygen tank wherever he goes. This minor detail causes him to be bullied continuously throughout school, which affects him massively. If I see it, I stop it, but it's rare that I see him in the hallways, as him and his friends find shelter in classrooms and the library, away from everybody.

It bothers me, he's very sweet and charming, but due to this, he is often overlooked.

Mum and Dad are difficult; I don't want to go into that. And school is, school. 

The usual scenery for me to get home to is Mum drinking a mug of tea with a tear stained face, Ross sat staring into the TV with hollow eyes, our little brother Ryland beside him and Dad nowhere to be seen.

So when I walk in to my brothers adjusting their clothes at the mirror and my Mother singing, I knew something was up.

"Nothing's wrong, we're just going out for dinner." Dad kissed my sweaty forehead. "Hop in the shower quick, we'll wait for you."

Something's up.