34. APHRODITE

109 in teen fiction!!!! how's this even possible?!!!!
Thank you for all the love!!!!

Song : Auditory hallucination - jang jae in
The lyrics of this song are simply perfect for this chapter.

"One of my favorite quotes by Peyton on one tree hill was people always leave, she added sometimes they come back. I say, people always leave but sometimes though they don't come back others come in filling the void they left" -Alexisthompsons
***

      I return upstairs and walk into my room. I sit down to reflect on what just happened. There was so much about Lexis I didn't know. Apparently a lot of secrets and hurt he hid in him that had changed him and trapped him.His mum was mad? And his dad, who treats their child that way? It's almost as if Lexis wasn't his child. Where all rich people like this? No wonder Lexis was the way he was.
I hear the sound of things crashing interrupting my thoughts and get up rushing out. Not seeing anyone I walk down the hallway towards the sound coming from the end. At the end was a large door which I push open and step in.

    Heaven, that is my first thought as I open the door and look at its contents. Standing high up to the ceiling on every side were rows of books. I step in and look around, on my right were children books, Disney, Enid blyton, McMillan, J.K Rowling and more. I wanted to cry. This was my childhood. My hands glide across the book titles with glee as I explore familiar titles. I look to the left. It had adult books, on the top were written the authors names. Shakespeare,Charles Dickins,Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Geoff Archer, law books, books on art and music. This collection must cost a fortune!

        I hear a huge sound of a crash bringing me back to reality. I look around not seeing anyone. I notice a door at the side of the rows of adult literature and walk to it. I open it and stop in my tracks. Paint is spilled everywhere, canvasses are on the ground broken. Standing in the midst of it all a glass in his hand is...

"Lexis?" I ask.

He looks up and glares at me. His eyes are dark, the monster had returned. I see the pain in his eyes filled with darkness.

"Get out!" He screams throwing the glass which misses me by an inch smashing against the wall as I jump for shelter.

Screaming "Lexis!"

"Fuck!" Lexis says realizing I was almost hit.

"Are you hurt?" He asks voice laced with worry.

He's back. This is a Lexis I can talk to.

"I'm good, you're the one clearly hurt" I say.

He looks around his body.

"I'm not hurt," He says sounding confused.

"Your heart is and it's messing with your mind," I say.

"I'm so sorry," He says sliding to the ground placing his hands filled with paint over his face.

I look at him. His long beautiful hair also had paint in it.

"That's the third time," I say, he raises an eyebrow, removing his hands.

"The third time you've apologized" I say.

"Want to talk?" I ask.

"We are talking," He answers as if I was stupid in typical Lexis fashion, I smile. This Lexis drives me crazy yet i could handle this Lexis not the demon that showed up when he loses it.

"About what made you angry," I say.

He stays silent. I look around. This seemed to be some sort of art studio.

"You paint?" I ask.

"Sometimes," He replies.

A selective answer... I guess we won't be talking about what got him angry then, though I had a good idea what it was considering I heard some of it.

"I'd say I'd love to see your work but considering they're all destroyed ..." I say looking around trying to lighten the mood.

I notice one untouched painting hanging on the wall. It was a painting of a naked woman, her back to the window, her face unseen hair disheveled, scars on her back as if her skin was torn by a hook holding a paint brush.

"Well except this," I say getting up and walking to it.It had so much depth to it, the brush strokes were done in a way that seemed to go in circles. I was a lover of arts and if I was to explain this, the woman was filled with internal scars and hidden from the world yet visible.

"Did you paint this?" I ask.
It had that mysterious aura the mona lisa had.

"It's like she's drowning in it," I add.

Lexis comes up and leans on the wall next to me.

"Aphrodite," I say looking at the name written at the bottom.

"The goddess?" I ask, he doesn't answer. I don't remember any mythology about her like this or was that the painters name?

"That painting was here long before this house was bought," Lexis says.

My hands touch the painting to feel it. It felt rough.
"Legend has it that the lady was named Aphrodite, she was so beautiful everywhere she went men fell at her feet. One day she fell in love with the god of war and got married. They had a kid together but the husband not satisfied went out in search of pleasure, it drove her mad with jealousy. Her husband not wanting a mad wife around locked her up in this very room and got a new wife. She never got to see her son again but from the window, she'd look down at him. Till one day he found a way to see her without his dad knowing. To celebrate his birthday. It was the greatest mistake he ever made as she used the knife that was meant to celebrate his birth to kill them both," He says getting up.
"Each night you can hear her child's spirit cry for help calling, mummy..." He says the mummy sounding like a monster.

He returns to the ground sitting down laughing half heartedly.

I look at Lexis, I  knew my mythology and I'm sure Aphrodite never lived here also I knew his story had some loopholes... Aphrodite was married to Hephaestus and cheated on him with Ares. She wasn't married to Ares. Also Adonis was the only son whose story was similar to the one he just said but yet it didn't exactly go that way and Aphrodite never ran mad...except...Lexis said this woman in the picture was mad, his dad's voice resounds in my head,

"Of all the things he could inherit from that mad woman it was her craziness,"

Could it be...I look at the painting again, she was holding a brush, meaning she painted which the goddess Aphrodite didn't do. If she passed on her gift to her son...Lexis also paints...could it be...she's ...his mother? I remember he once told me he was dead just going through life and since this woman killed her child...Aphrodite never killed her child or herself. Adonis died while hunting though Aphrodite blamed herself...but she never killed herself or Adonis, except...My eyes widen in realization.

Lexis saw his mum commit suicide?!

***
Wow! What a long chapter. This was a chapter I wanted to save for later but it just didn't seem right for later plus there's lots to do later lol.This chapter took a while to get right as to me this moment is crucial in their relationship. Even now I don't feel as though it's good enough so Don't forget to vote :-) and tell me what you think.