64. Money and Power

Check out the new cover by AsandyDR
Song: Ain't about the money ft Jussie Smollett and Yazz
from Empire.

Before writing and after writing this chapter I had a lot of thinking to do because as hard as it may be to accept this chapter does happen, the .01 % wealthy and those in power (not all) sometimes change things to go their way for wrong selfish personal reasons and if you need anymore proof the Stanford rape case is the one amongst many examples. Lexis has unfortunately done some pretty wrong things in life but when those who should help stop him and allow him be responsible for his actions help him cover it, you have the MJ'S and the second 234 virgin of the world, some even commit suicide. My point is this chapter is not to throw dirt at the entire justice,political system or police etc but to point out that while there's good there's also some bad which are unfortunately in high positions that twist laws to their favor and take advantage of power that's probably one thing I love about scandal for showing how at the end people in power can be selfish e.g Fitz going to war for Olivia. And use their power for personal reasons.
So I have decided not to delete or rewrite this chapter in a different way, as except we start accepting that some people in power can be corrupt for personal gain we may never have discussions or take steps to change it.

***

      I was scared worried and confused. Weren't we going to run? I notice none of Lexis friends are running or looking worried. Is this a regular occurrence? Getting caught by the cops?

"Why didn't we get a faster warning?" Karen asks.
Faster warning? I wonder.

      They all look at Lexis and exchange looks while Lexis looks unconcerned. I am about ready to piss in my pants. I didn't want to go to jail. I knew this was a bad idea. I couldn't have a jail record on file.

"Lexis?"Reid says looking at Lexis.

"I'll make the call. Let's leave," He says and the crew all fist bomb, smile and cheer as they jog away towards their cars. I stay rooted to my spot confused at what just happened.

"Shakespeare?" Lexis says next to me
I was confused, what exactly just happened?

   Lexis holds my hands quickly pulling me back to reality and helps me into the passenger side before getting in and driving at full speed making sure to drift around cars to avoid them on our way out. I quickly buckle up. Too scared to complain on his speed actually wanting him to drive faster.

Lexis takes out his phone and makes a call using the cars Bluetooth. The name "Bug" comes on the screen.

"I'll go to the dinner if you get the cops off my back," Lexis says as he makes a left turn.Who was he talking to that could get the cops off his back? I look on silently in fear yet curious about his conversation and who this person that could save us is.

The line is silent as I hear no reply.

" I also  vandalised a couple of roads," Lexis says as he makes another turn as I look back at the cop following us.
Again there's no reply as he adds,

"It's either the company or the cops, his call," Lexis says tapping against the steering wheel as he drifts between cars.

I hear a sigh and silence.

"What car?" A male voice replies.

"The Mercedes G CLASS." He replies.

"Okay," The male voice replies.

Okay? That's it? Is that even possible?

"Where are you?" He asks.

"On the way to 13th avenue, five minutes" Lexis says.