45. The Phoenix

Song:
Akmu-Melted

"Sometimes, you just have to forget and move on, no matter how much it hurts" - One Tree Hill

No 17 in teen fiction OMG !!!!! It just keeps going up thank you !!!
***
"Why did you buy all these when you could have bought them?" Nathan says and we both crack up in laughter.

"Ok let me rephrase that, why did you buy all these groceries to make seaweed soup when you could have bought seaweed soup from a Korean restaurant and save yourself this stress?" He asks.

We both chuckle.

I had made him take me grocery shopping as I wanted to make some seaweed soup. In Korea it's given to people on their birthdays and considering Lexis couldn't have cakes on his birthday, I wanted to give him something new to look forward to.

"It's not the same!" I say.

"You're either jobless or...wait you are actually jobless," He says laughing. I lightly hit his hands as he laughs and smile.

"I'm hungry. Can we stop somewhere and eat first? Lunch is on me," Nathan says as we step into the car.

I nod in agreement.

He drives us to an Italian restaurant that didn't seem too expensive or too cheap, just affordable for both parties.

"Can you choose for me?" I ask unfamiliar with the items on the menu.

"Sure," He says and places our order.

"So do you want to let out what's been eating at you now or when we are done eating?" Nathan asks.

"What?" I say.

"I'm sure you didn't drag me out just to take you shopping, plus you've been sneaking unsure glances at me," Nathan says.

I smile at his attentiveness. I guess it's better to get it out the way.

"Nathan," I start. "Remember the story you told me about Lexis stealing and being sent away?" I ask.

He nods.
His full attention focused on me.

"Was that a lie?" I ask.

He takes a deep breathe and forces a smile.

"Please be honest," I say.

He looks at me for a minute silently, his eyes considering his options.

"He was sent away because of me, that was true," Nathan replies.

"Did he steal?" I ask.

"No," He replies looking me straight in the eyes as the waiter brings our drinks.

"Why did you lie?" I ask ignoring the waiters interruption and not wanting to give Nathan the chance to change topics.

"I didn't...He did go away because of me, I just changed why," He says.

"Why?" I ask.

"It's not everything the eyes sees that the lips should speak on Hera. It was not my story to tell," He says.

So the reason he never stated the full truth, was to protect Lexis?
I smile. I could let the lie go.

"Fine, I'll let it go," I say picking up my fork to eat.

"Why the re-awakened interest?" He asks.

"I need to use the bathroom, I'll be back," I say abruptly getting up.

I didn't want to say why and be faced with questions from Nathan. I didn't want to be judged or looked at negatively by him. He might want to protect his brothers past but that doesn't mean he liked his present brother. I hurry into the rest room and rinse my hands. At least I now know why Nathan didn't tell the complete truth and why he dislikes Lexis. It was weird,lovely and sad. He protected him because of his experiences and yet he didn't like him due to those same experiences.

I walk back out thinking of good ideas to change the topic. What shall I use? The food? Ah yes, class! I smile to myself as I approach the table. I see Nathan laughing and chatting with a lady standing next to our table. Curious as to who could make him so happy, I pick up my pace.
As I approach the table the lady turns and I immediately stop in my tracks almost colliding with a waiter.

"Sorry"I say and look on in shock. How do they know each other? Why did they seem like great friends? What was Nathan's real relationship with Reid and now her...MJ.

I take a deep breath and walk over remembering our previous not so nice encounters.

"Hi MJ," I say smiling as I get to the table and sit down.
Her eyes widen in shock as her eyes fluctuate between both of us.

"You know each other? I guess there's no need for introductions then," Nathan says smiling at us oblivious to our reactions.

"Is this...is this her?" MJ says to Nathan.

"Yes, this is Hera the one and only goddess," He says smiling.

MJ's face goes pale and she staggers a little.

"Are you okay?" I and Nathan say at the same time. As Nathan stands up and places his hands on her shoulder.

"I need to go," MJ says turning and walking away. I notice a guy immediately rush to her side and follow her out. Her date? I thought she was dating one of Lexis friends? Is she two timing? Is that why she acted that way? Because I caught her? Or did I just disgust her that much?

Nathan turns back to me with an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry...she must be feeling sick, she's a total sweetheart," He says.

I don't believe that. At least not to me she isn't but I keep that thought to myself and place a fork full of food in my mouth.

"I'll call and check on her later," He says a worried look on his face.

***
You're not alone...I'm shocked at this early update too lol
Don't forget to vote