chapter 3

"I am your potions professor, Professor Snape," he paused and sucked in quickly, "you will address me as Professor Snape and nothing more." The man slammed five or six textbooks on his desk and looked around the room. Through clenched teeth, he snarled, "Open your Potions & Spells volume one."

The Weasley twins were sitting at the back of the class at the desk across the row from Lylie's desk. They were clearly working on something they were not supposed to be. From Lylie's perspective, it looked like they were doing a sort of origami. She watched them as Snape spoke about the course of the school year. Once the twins looked like they were finished, George pulled out his wand and hexed it quietly.

Lylie's jaw was hanging open as they were about to attempt to throw it into the air.

She spun around to whisper to Aria, "Those boys are going to launch that paper airplane - they hexed it to fly!"

Aria leaned over Lylie to see for herself. The boys were counting down with their fingers, five, four, three, two, one, "Blast off!" the twins whisper-yelled.

Lylie grabbed the side of her desk and bent down as the airplane came zooming toward her, around her head and right for Snape. Snape dodged it just in time as it flew into the wall behind him and crumbled. The look-alikes high-fived under the table and laughed to themselves.

"Which one of you was bold enough to interrupt my class with this insolent behaviour?" Snape's voice was low and raspy.

The boys kept their heads low as they pretended to be reading their textbooks. The twins were funny in their own way and Lylie was beginning to enjoy that.

*

That night at dinner, Lylie, Aubrey, Aria and Cordelia were eating together in the Great Hall.

Cordelia said with a full mouth, "I'm still hungry and I've had two pieces of meat pie, one big serving of mashed potatoes and vegetables and three bread rolls." Lylie laughed while drinking her cup of pumpkin juice. She was getting along with these girls quite nicely.

Just as Lylie was finishing up desert, she glanced down the long table and saw the red heads, laughing at something their friend Lee said. Lylie took a particular interest in these boys and couldn't place her finger on why. There was something about their energy she was drawn to.

"Well, I'll be going. I'll see you guys later." Lylie stood up abruptly, grabbed her things and hurried off. She was on her way to pass Lee and the boys to get a glimpse of them.

As she was approached them, Lylie heard George say, "Hey boys, she was in potions this morning!" Lylie spun around while she was walking to look back at them, to make sure they were talking about her. Just as she passed, the sleeve of her robe was caught and yanked back.

"Hey! You -" Lylie was about to scold whoever did that but she realized it was Fred.

"Lylie, right?" Fred asked her as he let go of her robe.

"Yes." That's all Lylie managed to spit out. She was caught off guard.

"How'd you like our ruse in potions this morning?" George leaned over the table along with Lee, they chuckled.

"Oh it was ... pleasant. Nice to see Snape get all peeved like that without knowing who did it. You boys got off easy, huh?" Lylie replied.

"Yes, yes I did find it very pleasant, I suppose." George mimicked how Lylie said the word. Lee laughed at George's imitation.