Chapter 89

Fred, George, Lylie and Addison sat in front of the whispery fire in the common room. Fred and George sat anxiously waiting for their presents.

Addison went first. She began, "For George," she handed George a beautifully wrapped gift, "and for Fred." she handed Fred an equally beautifully wrapped gift.

Fred and George simultaneously ripped off the wrapping paper. Addison flinched, her hard work went to waste. Fred and George exclaimed in unison, "Honeydukes specials!"

Addison laughed, "I picked out the sweetest kinds for you two."

Fred thanked Addison, whereas George jumped up to embrace Addison. Lylie and Fred exchanged a quick eyebrow quirk.

George retreated back to his brother. He looked to Lylie, "Your turn."

"Don't be so greedy, George." Lylie scolded, but handed George his present.

Fred complained, "Where's MY gift?"

"It's not ready yet." Lylie responded.

"It's my birthday. The gift is supposed to ready for today." Fred crossed his arms dramatically.

"Calm down, I'll give it to you later tonight. It needs some finishing touches," Lylie paused, "and a bow."

George unwrapped his present to reveal a Fanged Flyer with a protective glove. He exclaimed, "OH MY GOSH! A Fanged Flyer! Our dream come true, Freddie!"

Addison wore a confused expression, "What is that?" Fred, George and Lylie all turned to look at Addison with offended expressions.

Fred was gaping at Addison, "You don't know?"

"No."

George stood up and crossed over to stand directly in front of Addison. He explained, "Fanged Flyers are basically frisbees with sharp razors along the perimeter. They're wicked! It comes with a protective glove because people have gone to the hospital because of it."

Addison questioned, "And why would you want this?"

Fred replied, "IT'S EPIC! Why not want it?"

Addison shrugged.

"Now, off to dinner, all of you." Lylie shooed her friends out of the common room.

*

At dinner, Fred and George's owl flew in from a high window. The old barn owl almost wiped out while soaring above the students' heads. The owl landed safely in front of the twins.

Fred exclaimed, "Probably our birthday gift from mum and dad."

George demanded, "Hand me the parcel."

Fred snatched the package off the table and held it above his head. He argued, "I only got to open ONE gift this evening. You got to open TWO. So, I'LL be opening this one, thank you very much." Fred dropped the parcel on the table and shredded the brown paper.

George smiled, "Mum's knitted us jumpers!"

Fred mused, "As always."

"Try them on." Addison urged the twins to accept their gift.

Fred and George shook off their robes and pulled the jumpers over their heads. Fred took a deep breath and exclaimed, "I feel good."

George nodded his head and agreed, "So do I."

"Let's put them back in the box, don't want to get food on them." Fred gracefully lifted the sweaters back into the brown box.

*

"Okay. Time for my present." Lylie hurried down to the common room and plopped down beside Fred.

Fred clapped his hands together, "I'm so excited."

Lylie inhaled loudly and exhaled before handing Fred a small, rectangular box.

Fred carefully took the box from Lylie's hands. He untied the vivid, green bow and peeled off the brown, crinkly paper.

It was a journal.

"A ... journal?" Fred looked to Lylie with fake pleasure.

Lylie laughed, "Open it, you dumbo."

Fred chuckled before opening the black, squishy journal. He flipped through the pages, each page was filled with words and drawings. "What is this?"

Lylie leaned forward and flipped back to the beginning page, she pointed to the title.

Fred questioned, "Is this a story?"

"Good, you're catching on." Lylie grinned.

"What's it about?" Fred flipped through the detailed pages once more.

Lylie smiled, "It's about Megan and Christopher."

"Who are they?" Fred asked.

"Well, they're metaphors."

"For what?"

"Megan is a metaphor for me, and Christopher is a metaphor for you."

"So, you're saying, this is about ... us?"

"Basically."

"How long did this take?" Fred was floored by how much effort was put into one simple story.

"Uhm, three years."

"THREE YEARS?"

"Well, everything that happens in here," Lylie pointed to the journal, "happened out here." she gestured to the space around them.

"I see."

"Guess what?" Lylie smiled.

"What?"

"You can finally read it. You've been trying to read this for years. So, read it, and tell me what you think."

Fred beamed, "I already love it." He put the journal in his bag.

Lylie smiled, deciding if that was her cue to leave.

Fred decided otherwise. He pulled her into a meaningful kiss.