Chapter 53

"Hi Fred." Cassiana approached Fred and Lylie in the corridor the next morning.

"Hey." Fred nodded his head.

"Can I walk with you guys?" Cassiana winked at Fred.

"Actually-" Lylie began but Fred cut her off, he agreed, "Yeah, sure, what lesson do you have?"

"Charms."

"Oh we-" Lylie began again but Fred proceeded to interrupt her, "We're headed there now, you can come along, we're meeting George halfway."

"Brilliant!" Cassiana giggled and lightly took Fred's hand. Lylie's eyes popped out of their sockets as she watched what was going on in front of her. Fred grinned and sped up with Cassiana, leaving Lylie to chase after them.

"Guys, wait up!" Lylie called after them. Out of the blue, George popped up beside Lylie, who had given up on running and was now standing by herself.

"What's happening?"

"Fred's new best friend. That's what happening."

"Hey, why is Freddie holding hands with that new girl ... Cassiana, I think it was."

"Because she's a bum."

"He's holding hands with her because he thinks she's a bum?"

"Yes." Lylie stated without any emotion.

"'Right then."

*

"Are you jealous?" Fred playfully asked Lylie in the common room that night, while Lylie was peacefully jotting down ideas in her journal.

"Jealous of what?"

"Actually, the proper term is 'who'." Fred corrected her with a smirk.

"Cassidy?"

"It's Cassiana."

"Whatever."

"So are you?"

"Am I what, Fred?" Lylie impatiently questioned.

"Jealous."

"Of course not. Why, should I be?"

"Should you be what?" Fred smirked at his wordplay.

"Jealous." Lylie rolled her eyes.

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes you should be jealous." Fred informed Lylie.

"Why's that?"

"How am I supposed to know?" Fred explained briefly.

"This is getting nowhere."

"I know."

Lylie shifted in her seat as she scribbled down notes in her journal.

"Cassiana is a really nice girl." Fred remarked.

"That's nice." Lylie replied obliviously.

"She is." Fred repeated.

Lylie looked up from her writing, only to respond, "I'm sorry what were we talking about?"

Fred threw his hands in the air, "Gosh, Lylie."

"What?" Lylie asked, again, obliviously.

"I think I'm going to ask her to be my girlfriend." Fred chimed happily, which made Lylie snap out of her writing.

"What?" She tried to ask calmly.

"Does that ... offend you?" Fred tested her.

"What, no, of course not. Do whatever you want." Lylie paused, "Besides, it doesn't bother me because ..." Lylie took a deep breath and lied, "I already have a boyfriend."

"What?" Fred snapped.

Lylie put her journal aside and replied with a small smirk, "Does that ... offend you?"

"No." Fred quickly responded, he added curiously, "Uh, just wondering ... who IS your boyfriend?"

Lylie panicked, she didn't think Fred would ask. She lied again, "My boyfriend? Oh ... uh ... um ..." Lylie paused and blurted out, "George."