chapter 4

The following morning in the Great Hall, Cordelia, Aria, Lylie and Aubrey were at breakfast. The morning sun blared through the tall windows and struck the room with inspiring light. The sun cast shadows under the tables, allowing for an unusual hue to surface over the hall.

Andy, the quiet, lanky boy came over to speak to his sister Aria. "Mum sent a package."

Aria jumped and exclaimed, "Let's open it! I'll have to see you lot later." She scurried away with Andy.

Lylie watched as they crossed to the other end of the table. She noticed Aria and Andy sit down near the twins, who - naturally - were laughing hysterically. Lylie turned back to her friends only to realize Aubrey was gone. Cordelia was was the only one left. She ate her pancakes quietly. Lylie watched as she smeared her fork through the sticky maple syrup coated over the plate.

Cordelia licked it off her fork and said, "I guess its just us then."

"Actually, I've got to go. I'm meeting somebody before class." Lylie swung her leg over the bench and stood up. I'll see you later."

*

Lylie scurried around the corner only to bump into the person she was looking for, Fred Weasley.

"You."

Fred began to walk. He gestured for Lylie to keep up.

He smirked, "Let's cut to the chase here, you'll agree to help me and George with the ultimate prank if we get your works some publicity."

"Yes." Lylie replied. She loved talking to Fred.

"Deal?" he asked her as he stuck out his hand.

Lylie stuck out her hand and grasped his. They shared a firm handshake. For a moment, Lylie felt as though time froze. She looked him in the eyes and smiled slyly. The room felt smaller. The candelabrums hushed out their light for a moment. It seemed as though she and Fred were the only two existing in this world.

Lylie broke off the handshake. "See you in class." She breezed past him. She turned around to grab one more glance at him. Fred did so too at the same moment. They both turned around almost instantly. How embarrassing.

*

The next morning in Transfiguration, Lylie was listening attentively to Professor McGonagall speak about turning a block of wood into a piece of parchment. The room was growing more uncomfortable by the second. Each student was fidgeting . It was late morning and nearing lunch so the growls from the student's stomachs were practically singing in harmony.

McGonagall explained how to perform the spell, "Everyone, listen closely as I will be teaching you the movement. You must wave your wand just like this." McGonagall made a half circle with her wand, "Now, watch as I perform this transfiguration." McGonagall pointed her wand at a blank piece of paper resting on the stool in front her. Almost instantaneously, the block of splintery wood morphed into a crisp, perfectly white piece of parchment.

"Now, who would like to try?" McGonagall raised her eyebrows at Cordelia who had been braiding a strand of her hair. Cordelia took a deep breath and closed her eyes, she muttered words of encouragement to herself and then opened them again.

"Whenever you're ready." McGonagall nodded.

Just then, Lylie felt a tap on the back of her chair. She turned her head to see Fred who was sitting behind her. He thrust a small, folded note towards her. Lylie took it and held it in her lap. She opened it slowly so it wouldn't make too much noise. It read,

I was thinking about the project we're working on. I was thinking we could start in Potions. I have an idea but its too long to explain here. Meet us a bit before Potions today just outside the classroom. We'll talk then?