Chapter 85

The next day, Lylie bustled toward her next class, Potions. She weaved in and out of crowds of people, keeping her head down. She needed to get to class early to review her homework questions.

Keeping her head bowed, Lylie tried to go around a student who was loitering in the middle of the packed corridor. But, to Lylie's surprise, the student wouldn't let her pass.

Lylie looked up at the student she had become annoyed with, only to realize it was the last person she hoped to look up at.

Fred.

"Okay, so you've been avoiding me." Fred smirked as he pushed Lylie to the side of the hallway.

Lylie leaned against the shabby wall, "Who says I have?"

"The universe." Fred smartly replied.

"Okay, so I have." Lylie admitted with a slight chuckle.

"Why so?" Fred merely smiled.

Lylie repeated Fred's question before answering it, "Why so? Well, maybe because - because I've decided to."

Fred threw his head back, "And that makes sense." He sarcastically stated.

"Well, nice talking to you Frederick." Lylie made to leave, but she found herself blocked by Fred's arm.

"Listen, Garfield," Lylie stifled a laugh at her own joke, "I need to get to Potions."

Fred raised his eyebrows, "I thought you didn't agree with nicknames for redheads."

Lylie opened her mouth to reply, but she had nothing to say. Instead she restated her sentence, "Listen, FRED, I need to get to Potions."

"No, no, no, YOU listen to ME." Fred pointed a finger at himself, "You haven't even made eye contact with me since 'then'."

Lylie knew exactly what Fred was talking about. She shrugged, "And I'm still not making eye contact with you now. Bye, Fred." Lylie sped past Fred before he could stop her.

*

That evening, in the common room, Lylie and Addison were working together on some homework. Fred came downstairs, still in his uniform, though it was after hours.

Addison looked up to see Fred, she then looked to Lylie. Addison grinned, "I need to go upstairs." She bolted up the stairs to the girls' dorms faster than the speed of light.

Fred sighed as Lylie didn't acknowledge his presence. He tapped his foot, "Hello?"

Lylie looked up with a smirk, "Yes, hi, this is Lylie residents, how may I assist you?"

Fred played along, "Hi, yes, I'd like to speak with Lylie, please."

Lylie continued her role play, "Oh, Lylie, you said? She's not available right now. Call again next year."

"What?!" Fred's head bobbed up and down as he laughed.

He sobered, "But, seriously, can I talk to you?"

"Yes." Lylie moved over so Fred could sit on the sofa.

Fred inhaled before beginning, "Look, I just wanted to know something. Just one thing. A small detail. A tiny little particle of a thing. A MOLECULE, if you will -"

Lylie interrupted, "Get to the point."

Fred sighed, "I wanted to know if you liked it."

Lylie didn't need to ask what he was talking about. She waited a few seconds that felt like hours, "Did you?"

Fred smiled, "I asked you first."

Lylie rolled her eyes at Fred's comment, then responded, "Yeah ..." She could almost taste the awkwardness.

A wide grin appeared on Fred's pale face, he shook his head, making the grin fall off his face, "Okay, well, if you want to know, so did I."

The two didn't even look at each other, they simply looked straight ahead, at the cackling fireplace.

"Well ..." Fred paused, obviously working up the nerve to say something, "Uhm ... will you ... be my ... girlfriend ...?"

Lylie smiled, she finally turned to face Fred, "Yes, yes I will."

Fred exhaled so loudly, Lylie was sure Japan heard him. His shoulders sagged of relief, he beamed, "Oh, thank gosh."

Lylie stood up, "Uh, well, bye, I guess."

Fred nodded his head, "Goodbye, girlfriend."