Beginnings

I was running. Running fast. "Come on Katniss!" i cried. "You're lagging behind!" i shrieked. Our laughter rang out as we raced through the trees. My heart was pounding in my chest my breathing rough. Something dashed along side me in the trees. I stopped so suddenly Katniss slammed into my back.

"Hey!" she yelled rubbing her forehead where she had smashed into my back.

"Shhhh.." i said motioning her to be quiet and putting a finger to my lips. She followed my gaze and there it stood. a deer. "I've never seen one." i murmured quietly.

"Me either." Katniss said just as quiet. We stared at it for who knows how long. It slowly walked back and forth grazing just a couple feet away from us. Totally unafraid. It would be the last beautiful innocent thing we'd see. Suddenly the deer looked up a bit startled. It looked toward District 12. Ears twitching it bounded away just as fast as it had come up. I was still awe struck. That's when i felt it.

The Earth shook just a tiny bit like it was sighing, but Katniss and i knew what that meant. Then we were racing, running back to District 12. Under the fence and toward the mines. A crowd had already gathered. The Peacekeeprs were pushing people back trying to get the situation under control.

I spotted Katniss' mom and her little sister before Katniss did. Her mom was crying. Giant heaving sobs, hunched over the ground. Primrose was standing over her. Eyes wide with fear. What had just happened? She was too young to understand. But i understood and so did Katniss. She caught sight of her mom and ran over. "Mom!" she said shaking her arm. She didn't reply. "Mom!" Katniss said more urgently shaking her arm harder. "Mom where's dad!" she shrieked. Her mom just cried and cried. I haven't seen her cry since. Then Katniss was off. Pushing through the crowd trying to get into the mine. I was always faster than her.

I caught her by the waist and started pulling her back. She shrieked and kicked and called me names. Saying she would never forgive me if i didn't let go of her. I sat her on the ground next to her mom and held her close to me. Then she too cried and cried and cried. I haven't seen her cry since.

Light was shinning through my window i tried not to think on what today was. A few more minutes i thought to myself. I knew i was just lying though. I threw back my covers put my feet down on the cold hard wood floor and walked toward my window. I threw back the curtains letting in the morning light and fresh air. I breathed deeply. From where my house was up on this small hill i could see as far out to the edge of the woods. I looked down at the square where they were setting everything up for reaping day. Reaping day. Where Effie trinket will pull two slim pieces of paper out of two bowls and say two names. That of a girls and that of a boys. They will be put up for the games where they will fight to the death with 22 other competitors from Disitrict's 1 to 12.

In 74 years, District 12 has only had two winners. One of which is still alive today. He's the town drunk. All that fame and fortune and he drinks it away. I guess surviving the games would do that to you though. I breathed out and walked over to my dresser. I pulled out an old shirt and threw it on. I grabbed some dark pants and my boots then threw one of my dad's old jackets on. It was too small for him but big enough to keep me warm. It would be enough for today.
I quietly moved around my house. My mom wasn't awake and if my dad was awake, well he would already be at the store selling to our four customers what fabric we had. I don't know how we get by on that but we do, with money to spare too. I trooped outside, head high, as i walked through the 'poorer neighborhoods'. Down here they called themselves 'The Seam'. Don't ask me why i don't know.

Nobody was out. Why would they. Parents want to look at their kids fast asleep for what may very be the last time. Why go to work when it was Reaping Day. You could afford to sleep in. As i walked by people lowered their heads. Everyone knew who i was and who i was friends with. The people down here probably knew me better than the people who lived around me. they certainly knew me better than my parents did. I got to the gate stopped and listened. Nothing. It was silent. It was suppose to be an electric fence meant to keep out 'the creatures of the night' from the woods. Nothing came out. Usually. There was that random bear mauling a couple of years back. I slid under the gate and then jogged into the woods. I came to the hollow tree and peered in. Katniss set of bow and arrows was already gone. I smiled slightly. Grabbing my own things i slung the sheath of arrows over my shoulder and grabbed my bow.