Sealed With A Kiss

"I have a small issue." Snow begins to pace in front of us. Peeta watches him steely eyed. I can't do much more than gape a little. "It began when one of you didn't die that arena." he stops pacing and looks directly at us. So that's it. He want's one of us dead. "If our previous Game Maker, Seneca Crane, had half a mind one of you would've tragically died before Mr. Mellark ever had the chance to produce those berries." So is Snow threatening him and telling me? "That knife. should've buried itself into your stomach and you wouldn't be here right now." Peeta looks like he might protest, but stops. If i did kill myself would he have not taken the berries. Would he have just played it out as some love hurt fool who just watched his lover stab herself? The thought of it is all too much to bear.

"Would have saved me some trouble i see." i reply without thinking. Snow laughs to my surprise.

"You are exactly right Ms. Melane, but neither of you died and so the play went on. You were very good my dear." he's speaking directly to me. Does he know it was a ruse? Or does he know I'm truly in love with him. He says nothing to Peeta. "Most everyone believed your little trick. Most." he emphasizes again. "Those in the District have started to see your stunt, as an act of defiance. Now you two roam free and they dream of a future uprising." I'm shocked. An uprising? There has been no evidence of the District's rising against the Capitol. "Of course there has been no word of this available to the general public. Can't have everyone against us." he clarifies.

"So there have been riots?" i pester. Snow shakes his head.

"Just a great feeling of unease. A restlessness. That is never good. It leads to high tensions and dangerous thoughts." So no uprisings. Why are we here?

"So what? Are you going to kill him? Me?" Snow chuckles.

"No. I can't. You're the golden couple. I can't touch you." the way he says couple makes me cringe.

"An accident then. It's been done before." Peeta speaks up. I want to hit him for giving the President ideas but he just shakes his head.

"You wouldn't buy that now would you? It would only add fuel to this image of the girl fire." he glances at me and smiles his play on words. I don't find it amusing though.

"What do we have to do?" i ask with a sigh. "Tell us what to do?" i repeat. Snow stops pacing and looks right at Peeta.

"I need to believe." he replies simply. Now I'm puzzled.

"Believe what?" Peetas asks echoing my thoughts.

"You two. I need to believe it." he replies harshly.

"What's not to believe?" Peeta replies sharply. He's grinding his teeth. Snow chuckles his shoulders moving up and down slightly.

"Tell me Ms. Melane when did you become aware of his indifference toward you?" the question catches me off guard and leaves me grasping for words that hang in the air.

"I'm not indifferent of her!" Peeta retorts hitting his fist against the table. I jump slightly in my chair. Snow only smiles.

"Your actions say otherwise. No matter Ms. Melane here has a secret of her own." Peeta's head swivels toward me. Secret? I have so many which one could he be referring too?

"You might need to specify." i reply boldly. Snow chuckles again and i wonder if we're really that funny. He touches the top of the small cube on the table. Up pops a picture, a hologram. It's Gale and I. He's kissing me. I look on slightly surprised. Peeta is staring at me. "I don't love him." Snow taps the cube again and puts it back into his coat pocket.

"You may not be in love with him Ms. Melane, but you do love him." i don't deny it. "One you can't have, another you don't want." my cheeks burn red.