Tales of District 12 and Beyond

Peeta pulls away smiling like crazy and then he seems to compose himself. Clearing his throat he drops his hand from my face. "Sorry." he says sheepishly.

"It's all right." i say with a small smile.

"You're not going to throw up on me again?" Peeta asks trying not to laugh. I shake my head smiling crazily.

"We get to go home." I said slowly. Peeta nodded still smiling. He wrapped his arms around me pulling me into a giant hug. He kisses my cheek before pulling away.

"Now all we have truly to worry about is you getting better." Peeta says stroking my hair and moving his hand down to my cheek. I place my hand over his and my fingers are ice cold.

"It's not going to be easy." I tell him putting doubt into my words.

"You'll be fine." Peeta reassures. I drop my hand but his lingers on my skin.

"What time do you think it is?" I ask looking out the mouth of the cave. Peeta shrugs when I look back at him.

"The sun just set so maybe five. Six?" He says getting up and heading toward the cave opening. He leans against the wall and stares out across the night sky. That's when i hear it a slow small beeping noise.

"A parachute?" i ask.

"I'll check it out." Peeta says stepping out of the cave.

"Be careful." i say trying not to shout. He disappears. I wait. How long has it been. A minute. Two. Five. The seconds tick by and the silence is killing me. "Peeta?" i whisper. He reappears holding a parachute in his big hands. He cradles it gently carrying it toward me careful of where he steps. "What is it?" i ask sitting up. "Medicine." Peeta shakes his head.

"Soup." he replies. He places it in my hands. "Go ahead." he says sitting down in front of me.

"Are you going to eat?" i ask instead of drinking it all up like i want to. Peeta shakes his head. "Eat." i tell him.

"I'll be fine." Peeta says. I can't tell what he's trying to do. Be strong. Act tough. We have enough food for the both of us. Though i doubt i could swallow any solid food right now.

"If you won't eat then i won't eat." i tell him placing the bowl down on the ground and crossing my arms over my chest.

"Catora." Peeta says. My name sounds lovely coming from his lips, but i try not to think about his lips as I stare him down. "Fine, fine alright." Peeta gives in. He grabs my backpack and pulls it over grabbing o few packets of something out of the bag and waving it to show me that he's going to eat. I wait until he's torn open the package to pick up my bowl. It's warm and steam is still rolling off of it. I take a couple cautious sips. I don't know what's in it but it is good. I would've downed the whole thing if i hadn't reminded myself that i can't eat solid food. "You said if I ate you would." Peeta reminds me as i set down the bowl in th parachute and close it back up.

"I don't think i can keep down solid food. I might get hungry later." i reply. Peeta rummages through the bag and pulls out a small square handing it to me i turn it over. Crackers. "Thanks." i say ripping the package open. I nibble on the crackers not really eating them. I still don't trust myself. "What now?" i ask. I'm not really tiered and i don't think Peeta is either. Peeta shrugs in response. I stay quiet. I want to talk to him but i don't know what to say. He surprises me when he starts talking i thought we were just going to sit in awkward silence for a while.

"I remember when i saw you. When i first started seeing you." i can barely make out Peeta's face.

"What do you mean?" i asked confused.