Interview

Daylight comes. I wake to my team of stylists standing over me. I freak out and gasp pushing myself back against the headboard. "Sorry sweetheart!" squeaks Venia. I relax my shoulders and push off my covers. It's time to get to work. Today we have the interviews and i need to look pretty. The team works long into the afternoon.

First they scrub me down leaving my skin a bit raw. Then they paint my skin with shimmering powder. It makes my skin lighter and sparkle like gold. They powder my face until i can't see the real me anymore. The drawings on my skin try to make certain things stand out, like my lips and eyes. My lips turn the color of blood and flames are painted to my eyelids. My eyelashes get layered with some black sticky stuff before they add jewels. It feels heavy, but now my eyes shimmer. Flames twine my arms and part of my right shoulder. Venia does my hair, weaving it in and out and adding fabric the color of the sun. It all ends up on my right shoulder. That's when Cinna comes in carrying my dress. I can only see him through the mirror. I'm trying not to move much so i don't mess anything up.

"Cinna!" i exclaim my lips look two times bigger than they did before. Watching my painted face open my mouth is a new experience. I'm trying to get a good look at the dress but it's completely covered.

"Close your eyes." Cinna instructs. I close them and someone takes my hand helping me down from the chair. I remove my robe and feel the silky fabric drop down over me. It's heavier than i thought it would be. I almost topple but someone catches my hand. I step into my shoes and feel someone strap them around my ankles. The heels are maybe three inches. I could work with that. That's how tall my mother's had been. They fidget and fuss for a bit then grow quiet.

"Can I.. Open my eyes?" i ask hesitantly.

"Yes." Cinna breaths out. My eyes fly open. Who is this person? i can no longer see myself. The girl in the mirror has shining skin and fire in her eyes. The bottom of the dress is covered in flashing gems. Yellow, red, orange and blue. With each movement of the fabric it appears as though my dress is on fire. I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun. I'm awestruck by my own reflection.

"Cinna." i say turning to face him. "Thank you." i am so grateful that he is my stylist. I unknowingly open my arms and he steps into them giving me a big hug.

"You're welcome." he tells me. Then with a wave of his hand he dismisses the assistants. "Spin for me." he says when we release each other from the embrace. I spin a couple times in place tryign my best not to fall over. "Fabulous." he says with a smile. "Now tell me what are you coming off as in the interview?" he asks. My face falls. It was more than about looking pretty i had to be something too.

"I don't know." i reply sadly. He looks at me quizzically. "We went through a couple things but they just weren't me." i explain. He nods touching his chin.

"How about, you be yourself." he says touching my arm. I shrug.

"Haymitch and Effie said that's not what they want." Cinna is shaking his head.

"Well what do you want?" he asks. I stare at him blankly. He sighs and gives me a small smile. "During your interview. Look for me. Talk to me. Don't look at the crowd and don't get nervous. It can be a bit nerve racking being up there but you'll get through this." i nod understandingly. "Ok, well, the others are waiting." he says motioning me to follow him. He holds open the door for me and i step out. I'm grateful that the dress doesn't get me all tangled up or that i don't have to pick it up off the floor. Effie, Portia, Haymitch and Peeta are all waiting by the door. Portia is pulling down Peeta's jacket and he's watching her but he turns his head as i walk toward him.

"Oh Catora!" Effie exclaims rushing up to get a closer look. Haymitch looks me up and down.

"Are you sure that's Catora." i make a face at him. Then i look at Peeta. He has this look in his eyes i cant place. He looks amazing in his black suit. He has flame accents but i am actually fire. He looks me up and down like he cant remember what i really look like. We head toward the elevator and step in. I'm placed right next to Peeta. I don't know if that was on purpose or not.