Parents

"Catora!" my mother exclaimed immediately drawing me into a hug.

"Hi mom!" i said trying to sound enthusiastic for her. It had been weeks. Three to be exact. She wrapped her arms around me tightly. In an almost death grip. I was loosing the air in my lungs.

"Peter!" she cried out using my dad's name. Immediately i heard the thud of his shoes on the hardwood floor. He appeared in some slacks and a white cotton shirt pushing his hair out of his face.

"Catora." he said slowly.

"Hi dad!" i said with a smile as my mother let go of me. I stepped toward him and he opened up his arms kissing my forehead.

"It's been a while."

"Yeah.. It has." i replied quietly.

"And Peeta's here too!" My mother said. I turned to see her staring up at him like this was their first encounter.

"Hello Ma'am." Peeta said sticking out his hand. She laughs slightly.

"Oh please. Call me Mrs. Melane Peeta!" she says happily shaking his hand.

"Mr. Melane." Peeta says moving toward my dad hand still out.

"That's sir to you." my dad corrected. Peeta looks a bit frightened but i know my dad.

"Dad.." i hiss nudging him.

"I'm just kidding Peeta. Nice to finally meet the boy in love with my daughter." my dad say's shaking his hand. Still he looks.. Skeptical. The comment makes us both blush.

"We've met before." Peeta says clearing his throat. They drop their hands.

"Yes but under different circumstances." Peeta nods and my mother is by my side again.

"You'll both stay for dinner won't you?" she asks hopefully. I glance at Peeta who's staring at me waiting for me to answer.

"We'd love to." Peeta finally says.

"Wonderful!" my mother says happily clasping her hands together. I bit my lip and move back toward Peeta. "I know that Catora can't cook for anything but this will be lovely!" she says moving off toward the kitchen.

"Would you like me to help!" Peeta called out following her and I following him.

"Can you cook?" my mother asks tying an apron around her waist.

"A little. Better than her." Peeta says putting a hand on my shoulder. I roll my eyes but this makes me mother grin.

"Alright! You can help then come on." My mother motions him to come closer so i go back into the dining room to leave the cook's alone. My dad is sitting at the head of the table hands folded in front of him. He's just staring at the smooth worn surface of the table.

"Dad?" i say moving to sit in my customary seat. There's always been four seats at the table. I think my parents wanted two children but only had me. I've never really asked.

"Mmh?" he says.

"Is everything alright?" i ask reaching out to touch his hands. He stares at my hand and then looks me in the eye.

"Yes honey. Everything's fine." he says but I'm not convinced.

"Are you sure?" i press.

"Nothing you need worry about." he tells me patting my hand. That doesn't sound too promising though and i want to ask him what he means but he pops a question. "How have you been?" i shrug.

"Ok." i say slowly. Who knows what he might've heard.

"That's good." he says with a nod. I purse my lips and think of what to say next. "Have you been eating well?" he asks.