Confessions

I walk backstage just in time to see Peeta go up on stage. I decide to stay and watch his Interview on the screen back there. No one else is around so nobody can bother me. Peeta is charming from the beginning. Their laughter echoes throughout the room and flutters backstage. I even find myself smiling. They play up his whole being a baker's son. Soon they're comparing the tributes to bread. They go into this banter about the Capitol showers. "Do i smell like roses?" Peeta asks Caesar. He motions him to smell him. The crowd is falling out of their seats with laughter. They go back and forth smelling each other for a bit. Then Caesar asks something that makes Peeta turn a bit red.

"Tell me Peeta do you have a girlfriend back home." i start to think back. I've kept tabs on him, as far as i knew, nothing. "Oh come on. A great looking guy like you. There has to be someone." Caesar says noticing the look on his face. Peeta's hesitating. "There is isn't there. Come on out with it. What's her name?" he asks with a smile. Peeta sighs.

"There was this one girl, but we never really talked much back home." my heart sinks. So he did like someone.

"She have another guy?" Caesar asks sympathetically. Peeta shakes his head.

"I thought she was with someone but she wasn't. Lots of guys like her." i was running through all the names of our classmates in my head. There was Madge. She was pretty. Then Rose-Lily with her long luxurious brown hair and pretty eyes. Anne with blonde hair that shimmered like gold. Who was he talking about?

"Tell you what. You win, go home. She can't say no to you then." Peeta was shaking his head.

"Winning the games isn't going to help much." he replied. Of course it would. How could you not fall in love with his golden locks,especially if he wins the games.

"Why ever not?" Caesar asks flabbergasted. Peeta is grinding his teeth and staring intensely at the floor. Finally he spits it out looking up at Caesar.

"Because she came here with me." Everyone is silent and the camera lingers on his sullen face. It sinks in. Me. He's talking about me! Suddenly there's a camera in my face and it's projecting my reaction on the screen. My mouth is slightly open and my face is burning red through the makeup. Seeing my own face on the screen i close my mouth and glance at the ground. It flickers back to Peeta and Caesar.

"I am so sorry." Caeser tells him. He sounds pained. There's agonized cries coming from the audience. Peeta shrugs. "She didn't know did she." Caesar asks.

"Not until now." Peeta replies with a little nod.

"Wouldn't you guy's love to hear Catora's response!" Caesar asks the crowd. They're shouts are thunderous. Pleading, begging but Caesar waves his hands. "Unfortunately we can't." more screaming. "Our hearts are with you Peeta, and good luck." Caesar says. Peeta is nodding his thank you. Then the anthem plays.

Peeta emerges along with Effie and Haymitch. The color in my cheeks is gone. I pretend like nothing happened. Slowly i walk to the elevator and we all step in. Peeta has placed himself in the farthest possible corner away from me. The silence is deafening. I'm trying not to make a big deal out of his declaration of love. This is what the people of the Capitol will be talking about. The star crossed lovers. Except we're not lovers. I'm not even sure we're friends. He won't even look at me. We emerge from the elevator and walk into the sitting area. I explode. I just can't take it anymore. "What the hell was that!" i shout at Peeta. He's staring at me blankly.

"What was what?" he asks mildly. I stalk toward him but still leave a full person space in between us.

"Don't play games with me Peeta! You know what i mean! You don't love me!" i'm screaming. He just stares at me. "I thought you hated me." i say trying to keep my voice even. I'm about to burst into tears. I can tell. The words come out before Peeta can stop them.