Gamemakers

It's the third day. The Gamemakers are to see us in private sessions today. During lunch they call out the boy tribute from District 1, the girl soon followed after. District 12 is last. We wait around in the dining hall not knowing what to do. As more and more people leave Peeta and I slowly stop talking. By the time Rue gets up to go we're staring at each other blankly. I spin my hair between my fingers and space out. Peeta is hunched over with his hands folded in front of him. Not fifteen minutes later Peeta's name is called. "Don't forget about what Haymitch said." I say quickly standing up. Peeta looks down at me skeptically. I was generally concerned for him. If he didn't get a score above five he would be a target. I didn't want that.

"I won't." he opened his mouth then closed it. "Don't forget how to shoot a bow and arrow." a smile creeps across my face.

"I won't." i reply as he walks away. I sit back down and twiddle my thumbs in anticipation. i don't know how long i waited. It seemed like hours but was probably only thirty minutes. When my name is called I push my hair out of my face and fix my shirt even though everything is in perfect order. I head to the doors of the gymnasium and walk in. They're singing. Oh no. I think to myself. I look at them. They all look a bit tipsy. They've drunk to much wine and have sat through twenty-three other tributes. I would be tired too. I keep walking. There was nothing i could do about it. i just had to shoot straight and prove to them that i was worth sponsoring.

I headed towards the archery range. There was so much to choose from! Wood arrows and bows, steel, plastic. Arrows with feathers and some without. I pull out a familiar wood bow and sling the matching quiver of arrows over my shoulder. Taking several deep breaths I pull out an arrow and head over to the bulls eye. It was basic. Simple. I hadn't touched a bow and arrow for a couple days. I might be a bit rusty. I string the arrow and pull back. This bow and arrow feel foreign to me. The string is tighter and the arrows are more uniform. I breath in and out and aim. Bulls eye.

I shoot a couple more stacking them next to each other. Once i feel comfortable enough with them i pull out another arrow and head for the dummy's used for knife practice. Still walking i aim for it's heart and hit the mark. I aim up at the sand bag ropes i manage to clip too with one arrow and i smile as they hit the ground with a loud bang and burst open. I glance at the Gamemakers, but they're all huddled around the dining table staring at the roasted pig. They're laughing and talking not even looking at me.

I'm a bit frustrated yeah but i never thought i would do what happened next. I instinctively pull an arrow out of my quiver. I aim it at the apple in the pig's mouth. It sails through the gamemakers. There's several gasps and even shouts as the arrow hits it's mark and pins the apple to the wall behind it. Then i'm bowing a giant smile on my face. "Thank you for watching me!" i call out. I do a small wave drop my weapons and head for the door. They're too shocked to do anything but stare at me.

I walk into the elevator and punch the number 12 button. Then i'm sailing up and away back to my floor. I realize i'm shaking. My hands and knees grow weak. I suddenly can't stand anymore. I pitch forward and grab onto the railing before i drop. I feel like throwing up. I stumble out of the elevator onto my floor. "Catora?" Haymitch asks. I don't answer just stumble around a bit. Now i'm really going to be sick. I rush into the bathroom adjoined to my room and slam the door. Locking it. I reach the toilet but nothing comes out. I start to hyperventilate. Theyr'e banging on the door and calling my name.

I start to cry. Horrible choking sounds. Oh god what were they going to do to me. Kill me or arrest me? What would they do to my family? Kill them? Punish them for some stupid thing i did? Why didn't i think this through? I shouldn't have walked out of there all high and mighty. Maybe if i apologized for my boldness they would go easy on me. Or maybe not. When had they ever shown mercy. I'm out of tears now. I would've thought i had more in me. I don't know how long it's been. They've stopped banging on the door.