8.. 7

"Catora." Peeta whispers the next morning. I open my eyes slowly taking in the harsh sunlight streaming through my window. "It's time to get up." i groan and close my eyes again.

"I don't want to." i mumble wrapping my arms around his waist tighter. Peeta chuckles and rubs my back.

"I know. I'm sorry. Come on. We're in District 8 already." slowly i sit up and push back my hair with a frown. "Did you know someone from District 8?" he asks. I nod slowly.

"Well not really." I shrug my shoulders all the joy and happiness from waking up next to Peeta disappearing.

"So what then?" He sits up next to me propping himself up with his hands. I give him a weak smile.

"You'll hear it on stage." Leaning in I kiss his cheek but he moves his face and our lips connect. I break away and stare into his sky blue eyes. He looks like he wants to ask more questions but he just sighs touches the back of my head and kisses my forehead.

"Ok. I'll see you there." He pushes the covers off us and heads for the door running a hand through his hair.

"Bye Peeta." He turns his head and gives me a slight wave. The door slides open and closes shut behind him. I'm allowed two minutes of peace before my team descends. With each passing District they carefully inspect my arms, and legs for even the tiniest hair. They find some today and pluck them out. I wince at the slight sting.

"Oh lovely. Hardly a stray hair anywhere!" they crow before dressing me in my outfit for the day. Green. Then we're marching toward the Justice Building hidden away from the eyes of the people.

"Lovely as ever." Peeta says quietly as i walk up to him. He kisses my forehead and squeezes my hand. Effie runs up that second.

"Places! Places you two!" she says straightening our shoulders and lifting our chins. "Big! Big smiles!" she cries out before rushing away.

"Big big smiles!" Peeta mocks quietly. I start to laugh when the doors open and there's applause. The smile is real when i step out waving toward the crowds. We shake the mayors hand before we begin. Peeta is to give an introduction before i speak. He drops my hand to fold his hands behind his back. I fiddle with my fingers glancing up at him then the crowd every now and then. I glance toward the picture of the girl on the screen. Funny i can hardly recognize her. I wave of pain and fear rolls over me. How could i forget? It's my fault she's dead. Peeta glances at me and i know it's my turn to speak.

"Hello and Good morning citizens of District 8. It is a pleasure being here and i thank you for welcoming us into your home." some of the people in the crowd grumble and murmur. "I.. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting the boy tribute but in my heart it is my fault the girl tribute died so tragically." i pause when i hear the mother of the girl cry out and drop to her knees sobbing. I twist the fabric of my dress before i hear Effie's voice in my head telling me to quit fooling around. "I was the one who pointed out the fire and i would like to say that Cato would have noticed it eventually but we wouldn't have known for sure.." i pause again recalling that night. "I didn't want to go out with them but Cato was sort of a hard person to say no too. She begged me for help and i just stood there. I didn't know what else to do." Peeta's hand is on my shoulder as i stare blankly at the sky in front of me.

"When the cannon didn't go off right away i knew she was dying painfully, and slowly. That's why i went back. I didn't want the other two to finish her off. I wanted her to die in peace.. And i wanted to apologize. I didn't know if she understood me but.." i can't speak anymore my lips won't stop trembling. Peeta takes over then but i don't listen to what he's saying i wipe away a stray tear and narrow my eyes at the horizon. In a monotone fashion i deliver the closing and wait for the mild applause. The mother of the girl is still crying when we leave the stage.