The Boy With the Bread

"So what did you have to trade for this bread?" I asked looking at Gale pointedly.

"His soul." Katniss said wiggling her fingers and whispering harshly. We laughed and Gale cracked a smile. Gale reached over and pulled the arrow out of the bread. He shrugged as he twirled it between his fingers.

"Just a squirrel." I nodded taking another bite. It smelled amazing. I've had bread before but Gale and Katniss so rarely had something as simple to me as bread it must have tasted like heaven to them.

"He must have been feeling generous today." I said a lightly.

"Yeah." Gale said a slight coldness in his voice. I tried not to think of how many times Gale's name would be in that bowl. Or Katniss'. I didn't have to worry about myself. How many times would my name be in there? Five. Not as many as most people had, but this would be a good year. This was Gale's final year to be eligible for the games and in two years Katniss and I will follow him. We would be safe. There was still the multitude of brothers and sisters we had to worry about, but I tried not to think too hard on it. "He even wished me good luck." Gale said quietly. There was a cold look in his eye's we said nothing. "We could do it." Gale started and I immediately knew where this was going. He was talking about leaving. Running off into the woods. Surviving off of the land.

"You wouldn't make it." I argued. "They would drag you guys back kicking and screaming. Then they'll probably kill you." Gale was shaking his head.

"If there weren't so many kids we could do it." Gale started again. I shook me head. Two brothers and a little sister for Gale, and one sister for Katniss. They would never make it, and what about their mothers? They're sweet and kind. I've met both of them but I can't see either of them fending for themselves out there. They would all die.

"I never want to have kids." I said suddnely surprising myself. I had never told anyone that. Not even Katniss. She looked at me now sadness and fear in her eyes.

"I might." She said quietly. Gale looked at her. "If I didn't live here." She added looking away from him her cheeks stained red. It was obvious to me that she was in love with Gale. Always had been. I just hope he knew and wouldn't break her heart by running off with some other girl. At first glance we could all look like siblings. Same skin tone and dark hair. Gale and Katniss have the same gray eyes but mine are a bright green. Gale once told me it matched the color of the trees.

"But you do live here." I stated. Katniss shook her head and didn't reply. We stared out across the valley. They had dropped the conversation. After staring out across the land for a couple more minutes i finally said. "So what do you guys want to do?" We could fish, hunt, gather, or a combination of the the three things.

"I could fish." Gale says with a shrug.

"Yeah get something nice for tonight." Katniss said. I nodded as we all stood up. I knew what she meant. We're suppose to celebrate after reaping day. A lot of families actually celebrate. Giving thanks that they're children haven't been chosen for the reaping. But tonight two families will not celebrate. Their homes will be dark and their doors locked in mourning. I shudder at the thought. We grab up our gear and head off into the woods. We end up doing a combination.

Gale comes back with a sack of fish. Katniss troops in her bag heavy with berries, and greens. I manage to kill a squirrel and two other small birds. As we leave the woods, we stash our bow and arrows away. We stop by the Hob on our way back into town. Gale is able to haggle six fish for some decent bread. It's not like the kind the Mellark family makes but good enough. He trades another two for salt.

I am able to trade two birds for some small essential things like bandages, thread, shoelaces, candles, oil, soap. Ms. Scott is fond of me. She thinks it's noble what I'm doing for Katniss and Gale. I'm just trying to be a good friend. She let's me take what I want as long as I trade her for something. I try not to take to much. Only as much as I think I should.