28

Asgore led me to the barrier. It was a bright wall of white light. I had to squint my eyes to look at it. It radiated such a strong power that I felt it from the other hallway.

"Alright, here we are."

"Wow," I whispered, in awe. "I wasn't expecting something like this."

"I know. It's very shocking at first. It took my breath away when I first saw it."

"I don't blame you," I said, looking around.

"Well, are you ready to go?"

I nodded, "as ready as I'll ever be."

Asgore did something, and the light expanded. It filled the room and I had to cover my eyes. "Well, this is where we part."

I looked to Asgore, "make sure Sans doesn't get into any trouble." He nodded. "Thank you." I sighed, looked around once more, before stepping through the barrier.

All I remember while that happened was that I felt really, really strange. And a little angry.

I woke up in the shack next to the mouth of the mountain. I sat up and looked around, the ground wasn't covered in snow anymore. And it wasn't cold. How long had I been in the Underground?

I carefully made my way down the mountain and stopped at the base. Memories from my home- if I could call it that- flashed through my mind. Did I really want to come back here? I mean, I have nowhere else to go.

I made my way to my house and opened the front door. An aroma of baking filled my senses. "Hello?" I called out.

"Who's there?" a voice, my mother I'm assuming, replied. A female walked out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel.

"Mom?" I asked.

"Who are you?" the woman asked.

"Don't you remember me? Your daughter? Skylar?"

She shook her head, "no, I don't have a daughter, I only have a son. And he's in the other room."

My eyes widened and I felt my throat tighten. Was this not my mother? Obviously, I didn't have a brother. "I'm, could you tell me the year?"

"Of course. It's 202X."

What. The. Fuck. "Thank you. I'm sorry to bother you, and sorry for bursting into your home. Um, when did you move in here?"

"Only a few months ago," she said after some thought.

"Can you tell me about the people who lived here before?"

"Oh dear, it's such a sad story. Their daughter went missing, and everyone assumed she fell down Mt. Ebott. You must know how whoever falls down there never comes back."

I nodded. "What happens to them?"

"They were consumed by grief and guilt. The father beat her, you know. They took their own lives a few years ago."

I gasped for air. "Do you need something?" the lady asked.

"No, no, I need to leave. I'm sorry." I ran out of the house and all the way to the base of Mt. Ebott. I sat there, sobbing, when I heard a voice. But, it sounded like it was in my head.

"Time passes much slower Underground than it does up here. Oh, and thanks for helping me out. I knew you'd be important to the team."

Chara.