31

"Skylar!" someone screamed, waking me up again.

"What?" I said, sitting up.

"Skylar, help me, please!" Chara came bursting into the shack, startling me.

"What? What happened?" Chara ran to me, and I, out of habit, spread my arms and she ran into them, sobbing into my chest. "What happened? Are you okay?" Okay, don't blame me, but I had a sudden urge to act like an older sister. I've always wanted a younger sibling, and she was kind of like acting like one.

"I'm s-sorry. I didn't mean it. I don't want to do this. I'm sorry."

I narrowed my eyebrows at her, "what are you talking about?"

"I didn't want to do this. I didn't want to kill them. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I hesitantly said. "Um, what caused this?"

"Um," she said, sniffling and looking up. I wiped the tear tracks off her cheeks and nodded for her to continue. "I had an older sister, her name was Lilith, and we were very close. Then, one day, she snuck out of the house. I followed her. She ended up going to meet a group of her friends. They weren't nice. They smoke and drank and had a bad attitude. They all went to the top of Mt. Ebott and started messing around. They drank and got into fake arguments, playfully pushing each other around. One of them pushed Lilith too hard when she was too close to the edge and she," Chara stopped and swallowed hard. "She fell. I stared in shock as her friends continued to party, not even caring. When they were all gone, I jumped down after her."

She stopped. "Chara? What happened after that?"

Chara breathed deeply through her nose, "she was dead. And I couldn't get out. So I walked. And Asriel found me. And he brought me to Asgore and Toriel and they basically raised me." Her shoulders started to shake and she started to cry again.

"Chara. I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"It's okay. I found a replacement."

"What do you mean?"

She looked up at me, "I think of you as my sister. You two are practically the same. And that's why I got upset when you said what you did. It made me think of Lilith."

I was surprised. She thought of me as her older sister? "So, why did you do all this? Why kill everyone? Why kill me?"

"I'm sorry. I guess I've never been good at expressing my feelings. I'm so sorry. I don't know how to fix this, but I promise I won't do it again."

"How do I know you're not lying?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I promise! I'm not. I'm so sorry. I don't know how to make this any better, and I know I'll never be able to gain anyone's trust again, but I can try. I can help you get back with Sans. I'll tell him it was me. This is all my fault. I caused all this. I'm so sorry."

There was a sharp pang of guilt in my chest. She sounded so genuine, I couldn't even imagine to think she was lying. But, this was also what I thought when Flowey said what he did, and he was lying. Or, was he? I'm still not sure. "Hey," I said, moving her hair over her shoulder. "Did you know about the talk I had with Flowey?"

She looked up with her eyebrows furrowed. "Talk? What talk?"

"The one that led to Sans and I arguing." She shook her head. "So what led to you having that talk with me?"

"I needed an excuse to talk to you. And I wanted to see what would happen. And... I don't know... you said yes. I figured it was my chance to get to the surface. I thought revenge was what I wanted, to kill everyone, but I realized it wasn't. I made a mistake. And I need to get back to apologize to everyone. And I need to tell everyone the truth."

I nodded. "OKay, but if I do find out you're lying to me, you're fucking dead."

Chara looked at me and smirked, "let's hope you don't find out then."