41

I could hear someone saying my name. I could feel them holding my hand. But I could not, for the life of me, open my eyes.

Maybe this is for the best. Maybe it's better if I don't wake up again. I mean, everyone would be happier if I wasn't here to fuck everything up. Maybe they'd all be happier if I was dead.

I know my plan to free the monsters was stupid. I knew, deep down, that the humans would never agree to let the monsters out. They've been down there for a long time, and people don't like change, so if they just suddenly become freed, chaos would overrun everything.

There would be fighting, killing, countless lives lost on both sides, and we can't risk that. We can't risk the lives of all the monsters just because some stupid little girl thought it was best. I can't be responsible for them to die. I can't have that hanging over my head.

I finally opened my eyes. Only because there was a loud beeping noise and it wouldn't shut up. I groaned and squinted my eyes before opening them, "could someone please turn that off?" I whispered, my throat hoarse.

"Skylar!" someone exclaimed, walking over to me. "Oh my god, you're awake."

"Yep. Turn that fucking beeping off."

The person chuckled, "still demanding as hell, too." Their face came into view and I saw it was Sans.

I grinned, "yeah, well, what can I say? I was born to lead."

"And to fall down a mountain multiple times," he mumbled.

I chuckled nervously, "yep, fell, that's what I did."

"How did you fall anyways?" he asked, looking at me and sitting on my bed next to me.

I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck, "well, you see, I kind of slipped. I guess."

"You guess?"

I made a quiet humming noise, "I don't really remember."

"Must've hit your head hard, then."

I nodded, "yep. So, am I going to be okay?"

"Yeah. I mean, you were literally almost dead when Flowey found you. Had 1 HP."

"Flowey found me?" I asked. Sans nodded. "Wow. I didn't expect that."

"Yeah. None of us did. But, here you are. So, tell me what happened."

"I told you, I slipped and fe–"

"Bullshit!" he exclaimed, standing up and throwing his arms up. "There's bruises on your shoulders that are in the shape of handprints. You wouldn't just fall, you know better than that. Hell, Alphys is still up there, so you better start fucking explaining why you're down here and she's not, or else Undyne is going to rip your head off."

I sighed, "Chara pushed me. I had a plan, a stupid plan, to convince the humans to help us break the barrier and free all of you guys, and Chara pushed me down here so I wouldn't. She said she did the same thing to her sister and to Frisk just so they wouldn't free you all."

"Why? Is she doing this to torture us more? She can't kill us all when we're above ground?" he asked, sneering.

"No," I said, shaking my head. "She said that it would end up hurting you guys more than if you were down here. Which, I guess makes sense because the humans either wouldn't have helped us or would torment you guys."

Sans shook his head, "no, Chara's wrong. We can fight back, we can survive above ground, it's her that can't." He turned to me and out his hands on my shoulders, "I appreciate what you tried to do. It isn't a stupid plan, it's very generous. Thank you."

I smiled and moved his hand from my shoulder into mine and held onto it. "No, thank you," I whispered, leaning my head back and closing my eyes. "Where am I, anyways?" I asked.

"In my room. We got an IV and heart monitor from Alphys' lab. Undyne's freaking out because she can't find her and she doesn't know what to do."

"Why is she freaking out?"

Sans smirked, "can't you tell? Undyne has a crush on Alphys."

"She does?" I asked, opening my eyes and sitting up. "Alphys likes her too."

Sans smiled, "well, I guess we need to plan on how to get them together."

"Yep." I nodded, but then sighed. "But first we need to get her back here," I said, looking down.

"Hey," Sans said, cupping my cheek and making me look at him. "We'll figure it out. Worst case scenario, we have to go up there and get her."

"But, Chara is still up there with her. What if she does something to her?"

"She wouldn't. If I know anything about Chara, she wouldn't."

I sighed and looked down, still not convinced. This is all my fault. Why did I have to be so stupid? Why did I have to bring everybody in this? It'd have been better if I died when I first fell down here.

"Hey," Sans said, grabbing my chin to make me look up, "don't blame yourself, alright? We all knew it would have happened eventually. Someone would have fallen down here and tried to free us. Frisk tried once before, and you. And don't you ever, ever, say you wished you would have died when you fell down here. Because the I wouldn't have gotten to meet you, and I wouldn't have fallen in love."

I moved my face from his hand and wiped the tears I had in my eyes. "How can you sit here and tell me this isn't all my fault? How can you love me if the only thing I've done w=since I fell was screw everything up? How dare you lie to me like that?" I was practically yelling by the time i had finished my sentence.

Sans just wrapped his arms around me and held on even when I tried to push him away. "How can I sit here and watch you fall apart and not try to fix you?" he whispered to me. "How can I not help you pick up the pieces you thought you had lost and put you back together? It might take some time, hell, it might take forever, but I'll be there. I'll stay by you and help you become who you were before this shit happened. So don't give up on me, because I couldn't bare to be without you now that we've met."