Chapter 8

"Hey baby cakes. How's it going." He said after kissing my cheek. He smiled at me while observing my hair. He didn't say anything this time but he was always very fascinated when it came to my hair.

"I'm making it. How about you?" I asked him.

"Oh, I'm doing good. Amanda is about to pop." He said while looking at his pregnant wife sitting in the shade lonely. No one in our family really talks to her other than me because they don't support their relationship considering they had their first child at 15 and she's white. They don't dislike her, they're cordial but they aren't all over her either. They knew not to disrespect her or they wouldn't see my Uncle Mack no more. He don't play about Amanda.

I smiled. "Awe, I missed her and Aiden." I said as I saw my teenage cousin, their first born walking around with some of his cousins.

"Yeah." He said as both him and dad were looking passed me at someone. I already knew it was Odell and it was only a matter of time until it registered.

"Odell? C'mere boy!" My dad said as he began to smile like the Cheshire Cat. I rolled my eyes and stood out of the way. Odell followed instructions and walked up to my dad. They gave each other a manly hug before him and my uncle dapped each other up.

"Long time no see or hear man what's up?" My dad said.

"Nothing much. Just making it my priority to get back on good terms with my best friend." He said as he glanced at me once again.

"Hell, women troubles already? Well, you have my daughter for a best friend so you'll get there young buck." My daddy said somewhat whispering.

"Yeah, I hope so." He said as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

There was a small break of silence as we all took in the scenery.