Half Of The Fun

***Three Months Later, Vic's POV***

I rolled over in bed and smiled. Rachel was sitting up beside me, typing away on her laptop. I sat up and wrapped my arms around her waist softly not to distract her from her writing. I rested my head on her shoulder and closed my eyes.

"Do you want breakfast later?" she yawned and set her laptop on her bedside table. I nodded my head and smiled. "Do you want to cook or go out?"

"Let's go out; you're always cooking," I claimed, and she laughed.

"I love to cook, though!" she giggled and got out of bed. "Get dressed, you bum."

"Yes ma'am," I laughed and followed her to the closet. She grabbed an outfit and ran to the bathroom to do her getting-dressed routine. I grabbed a pair of jeans, a hoodie, and my old Vans. I changed quickly and sat on the bed waiting for her to return from the bathroom. I pulled my phone out and checked Twitter. Just the usual fan tweets about the band. I smiled and locked it just as Rachel returned.

She had on shorts and a hoodie and her little Vans. I smiled and picked her up, her legs around my waist, and carried her out the front door of our apartment. I sat her on the hood of my car and smiled as she pressed her lips to mine. I bit her lip softly gripped her hips tight.

"I love you," she whispered and kept her eyes closed. She had never said that before. I ran my fingers through her hair and kissed her lips gently.

"I love you too," I mumbled against her lips. We stayed still for a while, both of us holding each other tight. Finally she loosened her grip and slid off the hood of the car. I opened her passanger door for her and walked around to my side of the car. "Where do you want to go?" I asked quietly.

She grabbed my hand gently and shrugged. "Wherever you want?" she said in a hushed tone. I smiled and started the car, backed out of the complex, and drove to the nearest IHOP. The whole drive, Rachel didn't speak or turn on the radio. She just sat quietly holding my hand. Once we were seated, I broke the silence between us.

"Why are you so quiet now?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" she muttered, pretending to be studying her menu, even though we both knew she would get an omelette.

"You're not talking, Rach. Ever since you said you love me, you've been quiet," I trailed off, watching her eyes fade into sadness as I talked.

"Vic, you're still married to Jaime. And I still feel terrible. Everyday when I wake up, and I see you, I want to be happy. I want to be! But you're still wearing that!" She pointed to my finger and tears swelled in her eyes.

I thought to take off the wedding band she pointed to and stopped. I wanted to make Rachel happy, but I couldn't bring myself to take off the ring. This ring was everything I wanted for 6 years; it's everything I worked for. I couldn't just take it off now.

"Rachel, you know it's not that easy," I mumbled. She shook her head and wiped her eyes before the tears could roll down her cheeks.

She sniffled and laughed to hide the cracks in her voice. "It is, Vic. It's as easy as you want it to be." She stood from our booth and her eyes began to water again. "When you're ready to commit to us, call me. I love you, Vic." And at that, she left.

I knew I shouldn't chase her down, that she would only ignore me, so I stayed in the booth. I looked down at my hand and twisted the golden band around my finger.

I remembered back to the night he had proposed on stage, had the whole crowd singing along with him. I thought back to our wedding day, surrounded by everyone I love, all eyes on us, and my eyes never leaving him. I remembered Australia. I remembered it all.

I stood from the booth and ran to my car. I started my little Corvette and drove as quickly as legal to my house.

***Jaime's POV***

I was sitting on the couch watching soccer when I heard a car door slam and then rapid knocks on the door.

"Ay! Vato, I'm coming!" I yelled as I shuffled down the front corridor to the door. I opened it and found myself face to face with Vic.

"Jaime," he huffed, out of breathe. "We need to talk."

"About what?" I mumbled. I could feel my heart pulling in every direction. One part screaming 'kiss him!'; the other screaming 'slam the door!'

"Us," he exaggerated. I sighed and leaned against the door.

"Vic, you walked out on me. And Ainsley, for that matter! Do you know how often she asks about you, Vic! What am I to tell her?" I tried to stay calm, but anger and sadness meet to create one violent storm.

"I'm sorry about that, Jaime, so sorry. But I never meant to tear this family apart. Rachel needed me, and she still does, but I love yo-"

"Stop there, Victor!" I yelled and pushed him away from me. "You have an apartment with her! You two share a bed! You expect me to believe you two haven't been fucking?" I tried to stop the tears but I couldn't.

"Jaime, it never meant a thing-" he lied between his teeth.

"And all while wearing the fucking ring I gave you? You're a pig, Vic. A fucking pig!" I screamed and slammed the door. I fell to the floor at the bottom of the stairs and began sobbing.

Through the door I could still hear Vic. "I'm not leaving, Jaime. You and I both know this is where we belong. Please open up. We can talk. I miss you. I miss Ainsley. I miss our family. I fucked up Jaime, let me fix it." He didn't stop until I opened the door and let him in.