Grandma's Esther's Famous Eggnog

Spending time with my family and friends was great. We ended up playing board games after Man Hunt. Team 2 won since Piper was able to make it back to the safe point before getting caught. Little by little, Audrey's friends started to make their way home. My parents are still a no show and for once I'm not happy about it. Audrey's face is showing her disappointment and it's making me feel horrible. It's like watching a puppy beg you for food. You just have to help it. I know. Bad comparison. Still, seeing Audrey so sad made me feel awful. 

        As if to answer my thoughts Piper speaks up.

        "They know you're here." I look over at Piper confused.

        "What?" I question. 

        "Piper." Emma hissed.

        "What? She should know." Piper defends herself. I look to see Barry, Caitlin, Connor, and Audrey all playing racing games while listening to Weezer.

        "Know what?" I ask. Emma scowls Piper before answering my question.

        "Dustin told mom and dad that you were going to be coming. I think that might be why they didn't show up," says Emma. Now I'm pissed. I know me and my parents don't get along, but it's Audrey's birthday for Pete's sake!

        "What's there number?" I ask, pulling out my phone.

        "What?!" Emma cries. Everyone from the other room looks over at us.

        "I know right. And he had the nerves to dump me the next day." Piper quickly says. I hold back a laugh at Piper's silly ways. Everyone turns back around knowing that the topic wasn't that big of a deal.

        "Good cover, but guys I really need to call mom and dad. They should be here no matter what. It's Audrey's birthday and she wanted her whole family here." I look over at my sibling to see they all came to an agreement. Piper wrote down their numbers and I went outside to call them. I start by calling the house number. No one picked up. Next, I called my mom's phone. After a couple rings, someone picked up.

        "Hello?" a women voice asked. Her voice was just the same. A little rough, but soft and friendly.

        "Hey... um... is this Alice Foster?" I ask, my voice cracking.

        "Yes. May I ask who is this?" Ali- mom replies.

        "Oh... yeah sorry! It's-" I stop. Would she hang up on me if I tell her it's me? 

        "Hello?" mom says getting me out of my thoughts.

        "Sorry, it's Madison. Your daughter." I say. There's silence between the line. Not one of us says anything for a good ten minutes. "I'm calling because... well it's Audrey's birthday and-"

        "Madis-" 

        "No, wait, let me finish." I practically yell. My mom goes silence so I take the chance to speak my mind. "Audrey really wants the family together. To be completely honest with you I didn't want to show up. Most likely the same reason why you're not here. I didn't want to see you. I don't know if I still want to see you, but I knew I had to come. Not just to make peace, but for Audrey. So can you just... drop whatever it is your doing and come to her party. Make her happy? Please?" I ask through the phone.

        "Maddy, sweetheart?" my mom says. "We meant to call but got stuck in traffic. In about an hour we'll be at the house.... sorry." 

        "Oh." Is all I manage to say. "Well..." I start up again. "See you soon." I quickly hang up and meet the others inside. My sibling stares at me as I enter the room. "There... on their way."