CH. 22

You tip-toed down the rest of the hallway to the end and looked through the crack your Aunt had left in the door. She was asleep, but it looked like she's gonna fall off of the bed. If she falls, you would get caught. Go for it, or let her keep it? Ha, yeah right.

Slowly, you opened the door just enough to fit your body through. Not before memorizing how small the crack in the door was though. You looked around simply amazed at how stupid your aunt really is. How could she not take care of such a nice, huge room? The tan-colored walls looked so dirty and run-down; and in some places it has streak marks from some sort of liquid. Not to mention the trash piling up high in the can behind her door.. Filthy. Now, where would she hide it? You looked in the desk next to the bedroom door but the only thing in there was a bottle opener and some cash. Of course, you took the cash, but you had to keep looking for the ring.

After searching quite literally everywhere, you'd started to give up hope.

"Fuck.." You mumbled. "Where could she have even hid-" It was THEN you noticed a familiar looking silver ring on your aunts right hand. Conveniently, it was the side that's hanging off of the bed!

You crawled under the bed faster than you ever could think and stared at her hand.

Not wanting to wake her up, you wanted to make sure she was in a deep sleep. But how, you wonder? You stuck one arm out and jabbed her side as hard as you possibly could and quickly pulled it back down to you. She stirred, but she didn't wake up; you know you were in the clear then. You snatched the ring from her middle finger and sat quietly for a moment. Again, she stirred but nothing came of it. The awful stench that emanated from underneath the bed was beginning to make you gag, you couldn't take it anymore. You took the risky chance and crawled out from underneath and sat there on the back of your legs staring at your aunt.

'She would be pretty if she took care of herself.' And that was that. You stood up slowly, so as not to make the floors creak, and walked out shutting the door the way it was before with just a tiny crack.

+ - + - + - +

"Okay, are we ready?" BEN said. He walked over to the window and tapped the window-sill, and held the bag out until Kai took it. "I think we got everything covered."

You nodded. You were finally ready to leave, this place makes you sick now-a-days. You already made sure you had everything, you were set. With the ring and money in your back pockets, you hopped out of the house with glee. Cally didn't look happy, though. Maybe she was dredging up old memories. Cally doesn't usually Aunt Ash get the best of her, but on some days I guess she just can't help it. The only thing you could do was talk to her about and make her laugh sometimes, and that's always enough to work it through.

BEN and Cally made it out safely, of course, and BEN started fiddling with the window again. The only problem is the window won't go down. Every second that passes when BEN's messing with the window it looks like he's getting increasingly irritated with it.

"Need some help, man?" Kai offered. BEN shook his head before frowning even more.

"I'll get this." He said. "It's just being a pain in the neck."

"Here." You walked over to the window and held a spot in the upper left corner down and BEN almost let it slam shut. He caught it though, and he looked at you as if you were Jesus Christ scarfing down Taco Bell.

"No one knows this place better than me or Cally!" You said jokingly. You smiled at BEN and returned over to where your sister stood. She was looking around, making sure nobody seen us. But, what she doesn't remember is that that's what Kai came for, after all.

BEN smiled and admired you as you walked away from him. Truth be told he doesn't know how to feel. He wants to be your friend, but ever since you three had started playing together he'd progressively gained some sort of feeling he hadn't had for anyone in a long time. He couldn't talk to anyone about it, either. He wanted too, but who could he go to? He's best buds with Jeff, but Jeff would poke fun at him; it's just who Jeff is. Jeff isn't entirely intact with his own feelings and emotions, so he isn't mad at Jeff. It just kinda puts a roadblock there. BEN was also impressed at the level of stealth you had. He's never seen a noobie be so... Good at it.

"Okay, let's go." Kai said, using his thumb to point toward the sky. "It's getting brighter by the minute, we gotta go."

And as each of them walked home, they were all looking for something. Each person different.
BEN, he was looking for any indication of you noticing him. Kai, he was looking up at the sky watching the sun; probably making sure 'the sun doesn't raise to fast'. Cally, she was looking for missing signs anywhere. And you, you were trying to look into the houses that once surrounded you 24/7. Trying to get a glimpse of the people that lived there, to see how they were. You were saddened that none of them were up yet, but you were also relieved. If it weren't for that thieving bitch, this place would've been worth it to stay.

"When we get back.." Cally began. "Can we go back to sleep?"

Kai did a weird hop, jog up to your sister, matched her pace, then patted her back playfully harsh.

"No." He said with a smile. "You are to stay up forever more!"

Cally laughed alongside him with a grin. You couldn't tell if it was fake or not, though. Because of your aunt the two of you learned how to be good actresses. You hoped she wasn't mad at you. Maybe that's why she so quiet..