CH. 40

"Warren M. was the man we chose, correct?" Kai asked you silently. You nodded to him as you slid into the wooden chair you'd gotten up from before.

"What's this about?" You raised an eyebrow at the inquiry. "Is he off the table?"

Kai said nothing as he slid a few pieces of paper to you from across the table and sat down. You picked them up and started scanning them; what's this about underground work? Under the table cash? Connections?

"Our friend knew our last two friends." He said resting his head on his fist.

You looked at him from above the piece of paper you were holding with squinted eyes of confusion; there's no way they're acquainted, the world isn't that small.

"You're not serious." You stated. "Are you?"

"As serious as I can be I guess." Kai said with a shrug. "Where's Cally?"

Your eyes shot for the back door and held their gaze as you spoke.
"She's arguing with Jeff right now, I think." And with that you looked back at Kai and scooped up the papers with one last question.

"So, this means he's a member of that mob group?"

"Yeah." He nodded. "And that means we have to make sure your guys' combat is enough to get you by with them because they don't play fair, they play with guns."

"That's true." You admitted.

You pursed your lips and stared at the kitchen table as you played with the hem of your apron.

"We got this."

                                                                                                    -+-+-+-+-

"This is his neighborhood?" Cally asked.

You elbowed her back as you walked along side her. "Don't sound so judgemental, we've lived in much worse if you recall back that far."

"Yeah, 2 months ago was a wreck."

"Got that right.." You say as you rest your arm on her shoulder, mumbling under your breath.

"I'm just saying," She says with a shrug. "I think it'll be us getting stabbed tonight, just by looking at some of these people the wrong way."

"Then don't look at me the wrong way," Jeff states. "simple as that."

"Ha ha ha, if only I'd thought of that." Cally teased. "Teehee, Jeffery you're so smart."

You watched from the corner of your eye as Jeff stuck the tip of his knife against the back of her head and twisted it and played with it in her hair as he taunted. "Don't call me that, girlie, or we might have a problem."

"You'd be so fucked if I flung my head backwards." She teased some more. "(Y/n) would be witness, she can't lie to Slendyman for poop."

You nodded with a plastered smile and stifled a giggle as you watched Jeff flip his knife and put it back in his hoodies pocket.

"Well I'm almost there do you want me to stop by or what?" We heard a faint voice argue. Cally looked between you and Jeff, simply astonished. You're unsure if she's just on guard or if she wants one of us to investigate it. Nonetheless, Jeff threw himself behind the wall of the building closest to us and looked around the corner to put a face with that voice. He used his pointer-finger and middle-finger to signal at us to get a look as well, and, there he was. Warren M. 

"Okay, fine, I'll see you when I get there." And with that he slammed his phone shut and continued walking at a brisk pace. Jeff threw his head and swerved around the corner, tailing him. And you and Cally followed.

You guys pretended to be college students, laughing, talking, and being incredibly obnoxious. Cally even went as far as to jump up onto Jeff's back for a piggy back ride. Even though it's a good buy, it looked like Warren was starting to get a bit frustrated. Nervous, maybe? He began looking over his shoulder, his glare equivalent to daggers, and twisting and turning his trail up. He knows we're following him. We just went in a full square. The jig is up. We started walking faster, not giving up our disguised personas by any means, but catching up to him in speed. But, he started running away.

Jeff took off after him, then Cal, and then yourself. You'd think he ran track, but jokes on him, so did you and your sister. You guys didn't lose sight of him because of this, but it felt like you guys were running forever. You were unfamiliar with the area, you weren't sure where he was running to. Or who he was running to. But the only concern is not losing him.

After what felt like 8 hours of running, your heart was racing and you started to feel your stamina depleting. You weren't sure how long you could keep going, but you pushed through. You pushed through the best you could.

"Fucking turd..." Cally whisper yelled to you from your side. You breathed in sharply and sighed very heavily before nodding in agreement.

"Who the fuck are you?" Warren exclaimed, but he got no reply. Just pursuit. He took one more sharp turn before running himself straight into the glass door of a closed supermarket and started fumbling with a set of keys. The closer we got, the more shake was added to each jingle of the keys. He turned and looked at you, looked back down at his keys, tried one, lather rinse repeat. Until he finally got the door open. As he slammed the door shut and started fiddling with the lock he started he looking between the 3 of you with horrified eyes, he knows what's about to happen. Then, he took off into the darkness of the market. Without even thinking your sister picked up a giant stray brick from next to the building and smashed the window into bits and pieces. Jeff stuck his arm into the jagged hole and undid the lock, letting us in and we wasted no time pursuing him further. As soon as we entered the building a rapid beeping caught our ears, but we couldn't pay mind to that.

"Don't run from us!" You screamed.

"Bitch!" Cally yelled as she threw a box from a shelf at him. "Come face us!" She almost sounded crazy.

He keeps running, passing through aisles, throwing shelf items behind him. He's an animal when it comes to survival.

The beeping, while staying completely the same, seems like it's getting louder. It's hurting your ears.

"Ge' the hel away frm me!" The man yells incoherently. He's breathless.

He finally reaches for a big shiny metal black door; this one also requires a key. You almost had him while he struggled to get the right key, but he grabbed the one that stuck out the most and inserted it. It worked before you could get to him, unfortunately.

*~RAM~*
-
*~RAM~*
-
*~RAM~*
-

*~RAM~*

It took four attempts at busting the door down, but not even Jeff could make it budge. It was surprising, but fortunately, Jeff knows how to use his knife to his advantage.

"What the FUCK!" Warren yelled from inside, fear very evident in his voice as he shook. You could almost NOT hear him over the shaking of the door handle, honestly.

"Everyone pays their prices." Cally taunted from beside Jeff.
"You won't get away with what you've done.." You said softly, yet still audible enough for him to hear.

It pained you, still. to do this, but you couldn't hold back, either. You feel confused, yet confident..

After a little while, hearing the beeping became the norm, but something else caught your ear... Is..? Is that....?

"Sirens??!" Loud sirens. Too loud. "Do you guys hear it?"

Jeff nodded, not breaking focus on the door handle. Cally nodded, scanning the dark corners of the supermarket. So you knew you weren't going crazy. We need to speed this up.

As if on cue the door swung open and Jeff stomped in before you and Cally could even process it. Let's get this done.