CH. 42

You didn't dare speak a word to Jeff on your way back to the mansion. That jackass. He had every chance to grab her. Didn't he? He knew what was coming.. Didn't he? He should have had us bail sooner. He didn't grab her, and now she's not with us. God, who knows that they're going to do to her now that she's caught. And they know it was her the last time. She must have left traces of her existence. You couldn't wrap your head around everything, but thinking back on her first kill it was quite chaotic. You.. didn't doubt it.  But, then a thought crossed your mind;

'I could have grabbed her, right?'

And that very thought made your stomach feel like it was flipping it's way outside of your body. It was your fault, you believed. You should have been more responsible...

Should have been..
more responsible..

You felt tears starting to streak your face as you ran, closer became the front door to the mansion. The pain in your chest started growing stronger too, you weren't sure if your lungs were going to burst or what but you felt your breath shortening every step of the way. Until. You finally made it there.  As you gently gripped the beautifully rusted golden doorknob you let out a sob or two then finally twisted it. You weren't sure who was waiting behind that door for your guys' arrival, but you were positive you heard Kai laugh from somewhere in there. You hesitated, pondering on something considerably upsetting.. What will Kai do when he sees Cally isn't with Jeff and you? There was really only one way to find out. You gave that door one good push and it flung open with such great air force it made your own hair flow freely.

You scanned the room, eyes landing on Jane, who looks calm yet annoyed. Then on Sally, who was holding Charlie against herself as she spoke to Toby and Masky. Then on Slender, who didn't hold any expression, but stood firmly next to the recliner. Then on BEN, who looked over-joyed to see you, but it slowly faded as Jeff stepped inside the mansion. And then finally, at long last, on Kai, who stood next to BEN. He looked really happy too, but much like BEN his smile faded as Jeff stepped inside quietly, slowly shutting the front door behind himself. Jeff didn't dare say a word.

"Hi, guys!" BEN exclaimed, holding the same enthusiasm he had before. Though, he held a.. quizzical look. "How'd it go!"

Without even a second-thought-- or any thought, for that matter, you snapped your eyes shut and grabbed the closest item off of the table next to the door and threw it with all of your pent up anger and hurt, with all of your might.

"HEY!" Toby shouted as he fleed the from airborne items path.

"NOTICE ANYTHING MISSING?" You screamed, glaring daggers at everyone in the process. And then you heard a sob. This one wasn't yours.

You turned your head to peek over your should in the direction it came from, it could only be one person. Only one other person came in from behind you.

"Where is she?"

You snapped your head back at Kai, who stood there so disheartened. He deserves to know what happened.

"It was a failure." You say, wiping tears from your cheeks. "We got to him. We almost had him, but the police were notified."

"I'm not gonna beat around the bush here so I'll give you a goddamn straight answer; they got her before she could make it outside the supermarket we chased him into." Jeff explained as he held his head. It's weighing greatly on him.

"Woah woah, wait..." BEN started, holding out a single hand, but he trailed off and moved his look to the floor. "She's been arrested?"

In a matter of seconds Kai shoved past BEN and lunged at Jeff, knocking your left shoulder in the process and landed them both right onto the front door.

"And you let this HAPPEN?!" Kai asked through gritted teeth, holding a fistful of Jeffs hoodie. Jeff shoved him off and whipped out his knife, but he didn't attack right away.

"I didn't let shit happen!" Jeff yelled. With his raspy voice it sounded very menacing. And with that, he lunged, shoving you out of the way as you tried to prevent the worst case scenario from happening. But Slender quickly intervened, using his long arms to keep them from going at it.

"You children need to put a stop to this nonsense!" He boomed in your head. A low buzzing started making your brain go haywire, you started stumbling backwards as it was putting an effect on your balance and it felt like your eyeballs were just.. shaking.  All the noise and voices quieted down, so you only assumed it was happening to everyone. Or it was effecting your hearing, too.

You tried to keep up with Slendermans ramblings to Kai and Jeff but you just could not focus with whatever voodoo magic he was working. Kai and Jeff probably weren't able to focus either; what is he thinking?

"(Y/n)?" You heard BEN say lowly into your ear. "Calm down. Are you okay?"

What kind of question is this.

You nodded, but at this point you sat yourself on the floor and held your head. You didn't have the kind of balance needed to stand up right, so you just weren't going to entertain the action anymore.

"What happened? What went wrong?" BEN asked.

"I shouldn't have waited to do it," You shook. "I had her take this one but it was too late. They busted in, they--"

You were interrupted when BEN started to pick you up. You raised your head from your hands and instinctively slithered them around his neck as he started walking; to where, you didn't know.

"Go on." BEN says so calmy. With a nod you rested your head on his arm and started weeping silently.

                              "Or, you could tell me when we get to my room. It's your call, hun."