Chapter 20

"A kid turning into a half-scorpion, half-werewolf? Is there even a myth for that?" Kira says as we walk to the back door of Sinema.

"Sumerian." I respond light walking beside her, "I remember something about it in the Bestiary." She looks at me weird wondering how I know such a thing and I decide to confess, "I got it for my 13th Birthday,"

"What idiot gave you the rarest book in the entire world?" Kira says curiously with a humorous tone.

I gesture to Scott, answering, "Scott." We both giggle and I watch as Scott rolls his eyes. We continue through the door and it sets off an alarm. My smile dies as the alarm blows in my ears and Kira looks around to find the siren speaker. Once she finds it, she pulls a ninja star from her belt and throws it, shutting the alarm off.

"God, I love you," Scott says giving her puppy dog eyes and then starting for the main room. There are som many boys in here and very little girls. I have never been in a gay club. Heck, I am not even old enough to be in such a place. But, why would I need to, I have Drake. At...I feel myself frown as I say this. Home. Now I am just arguing with myself because I keep cursing whenever I complain.

We try our best to dodge boys who make out on the dance floor when suddenly we stop because Kira looks at Scott furiously.

"You did it again." she searches him from head to toe. Ava and I exchange confused looks, "You did something that changed everything and you don't even realize you did it but you did."

"I did?" Scott says looking as confused as we are.  

Suddenly, Ava and Scott paranoidly alert. With warning, they both sprint for the beaded screen with something being projected. Kira and I try to keep up and we enter behind them to see Liam defending himself against a boy taller than him, who must be Lucas. Not what I expected a 10-foot scorpion to be but this scares me enough.

"You're a little late!" Liam yells impatiently over the noise from the crowd behind the beads. Ava instantly rushes to flip Lucas over her and go to slash him. Lucas dodges her claws and throws her against a wall. Fiery bursts in Liam's eyes as they turn yellow and he charges at Lucas to knock him to the ground. Scott soon charges to help Liam and I watch as Kira pulls out her belt that makes a sword. Reaching for Kunais in my boot, I notice Drake's father leaning on a wall with a wound punctured across his chest. He looks like Drake but Drake mostly has his mother traits. Mason, Liam's old friend, kneels over Brett, making pressure on the wound. Then the moment when my Kunais are securely in my hands, I remember that Scott probably wants him alive. So I decide to tuck them back in my boots and do a hand to hand combat. I charge when Lucas, with spike arms, is surrounded by no one because he had thrown Kira, Ava, Scott, and Liam to the floor. 

"Screw it" I mumble to myself. I bring out metal pads from my sleeves and slide them across my lower arms and then to my wrist. They have tiny spikes, to injure not kill. I sprint closer to Lucas and knee him in the gut to knock him off steady then strike him across the face, knocking him to the ground, unconscious. I go to help Scott to his feet and he nods in assurance. Liam helps Ava up and Scott does so to Kira.

We all stand above Lucas who is face down on the floor. Suddenly Kira yells in Japanese, "Watashi wa shidesu"  as she spins to strike Lucas dead with her sword. I watch as I orange aura flows off her in the shape of a fox. 

Before she can cut Lucas in half, Scott grabs her wrist to stop her, yelling "Kira!" Kira glares at him but then regains her focus and has no memory of what happened. Scott chooses to ignore her innocence and asks, "Is everyone okay?" Everyone nods in assurance, then he turns to Liam demanding, "Liam, give me a hand." Scott has grounded me many times before but I've never seen him so mad. Half way through picking him up, Lucas is impaled with a harpoon sort of thing. It retracts from his body and we follow it to see, men in masks. Dread Doctors. Scott told me enough stories to make me know that these people are nothing to joke about. Just like how Malia had described. Scott and Liam drop Lucas and turn towards them, and Scott argues, "Why did you do that?"

One of them answers in a robotic, rustic sort of voice,  "His condition was terminal."

"What does that mean?" Scott questions. They ignore him and he repeats once more, "What does that mean?"

 They stop in their tracks and turn around to answer his question, but I different one answers him, "Failure." They fade away into the shadows and disappear completely, without a trace. Scott searches for something to say, Liam comforts  Ava, Mason aids Brett, and Kira. She just stares at the dead body, guilt spreading over her like a disease. There is a long, awkward silence.