Chapter 63

"Do you have the files?"

"Yes. There right here." Jordan said as he reached for the top droor of the cabinet behind him.

Before he could hand me the files, Deputy Valerie Romero, Ava's aunt, barges through Jordan's front office doors. I watch as shudders that kept the inside hidden rumble around as she whips the door clear open.

"Sheriff!" Valerie demand with a worried tone and almost out of breath like she ran her.

"Jordan eyed me for an apology. I acknowledge his apology and watch anxiously as he turned to face Ava's aunt.

"Yes Val?" Jordan answered.

My eyes drifted over to her walkie talkie next to her gun on her belt. Static and distressed yells came from the other line.

"The animals-" Valerie exclaimed before I decided to interrupt her.

"What! What do you mean?" I demanded as I moved from my position leaning on the side of Jordan's desk.

"Over 20 break-ins in the last two hours." she responded.

Looking over Valerie's shoulder, I could see rushing and pushing Deputys throughout the station. Some scrambled to the phones for incoming calls and the rest cock their guns and darted out the fronts doors to their police cars. Something bigger than animal break-ins was happening.

I felt my hand slowly inch towards my phone in my back pocket. I need to call Scott.

"Do we have animal control on this?" Jordan wondered while secretly handing me the files behind his back from off his desk.

"Yes. But that's the least of our problems," she stopped to turn the volume of panicking voices from her walkie talkie, "The west of town has completely leveled."

Jordan and I immediately exchange confused looks. From the corner of my eye, I notice that Valerie notices our confusement on the situation and reacts quickly for an explanation. There is a long silence as Ava's aunt steadies herself and collects her thoughts.

"I think it's better if you see it for yourselves." Valerie remarks

***

Arriving at the gate that seperates any cars from entering the woods, I help myself out of the police cruiser and shut the door behind me.

"Is this the place?" Jordan wonders to Valerie as he piles himsef out of the drivers seats and cocking his gun for assurance.

"Yes," Valerie replies.

As we start deeper into the woods, I feel every single falling leaf beneath my boots. Grabbing my jacket from my waist, I pull it over my shoulders and button up due to the winter cold. I decide to let my bangs drap over my face and neck to allow my hair to warm me up. But usually I would talk the short hair behind my ears.

We all continue through the woods, quite. But the peacefullness breaks when static voice start to come from Valerie and Jordan's walkie talkies. People with frantic tones come from the other side of the line.

"Yes, we copy." Jordan speaks to the other line.

There is all but static.

"Hello? This Sheriff Parrish. Do you copy?" Jordan says in a more demanding tone.

The line stays quite.

"Deputy, go back to the cruiser and see if you can get a clear message through. Miss Stilinski and I will continue to find the epi center of the recent leveling of town." Jordan directs to Valerie.

Without question, Valerie jogs for the cruiser. Jordan then turns for me and nods for us to continue.

Minutes pass and still nothing. But its not until I feel as if I am walking uphill.

"That's strange." Jordan mumbles under his cold breath.

"What?" I wonder.

"According to town maps, there shouldn't be any elevation here."

'That is strange' I think to myself. Then stopping in my tracks to the horrific sight in front of me. Before me is the Beacon Hills Gorge. But the gorge is levelled, one side stretching 100 feet above me. Like something huge caused it to shoot up into the sky.

Suddenly, the ground shakes. Falling to my feet, I watch as the cliff grows higher.

"What's going on?" I yell to Jordan over the loud rumbling and falling debre of the cliff.

There is no response.

"Jordan?"

Turning to my left, I see smoke. In the center of the smoke kneels Jordan. I watch as his uniform burns off, leaving him only with his enchanted pants.

Years ago, Jordan got tired of burning his clothes over and over so he got Deaton to enchant some clothes to allow him to be protected from the fire and burning sensation that he gets.

Watching as his eyes glow a seering green mixed with orange and his skin crackling up as if lave was breaking from his body.

"Jordan?" I call cautiously and calmly again unsure whether yelling would provoke him and if he wasn't in control.

Could the effects of the absence of the Nemeton be turning him?

Covering my ears as Jordan hellhound roar splits my hearing. I then fall to my side and curl up on the ground, continueing to cover my ears tightly.

What is wrong with him? I hve never seen the Nemeton's absence effect someone in this way.

From theground, I watch as Jordan gets to his feet causing the leaves to burn up around him.At fist he stays at my weaking state and then he shakes his head in anger and runs for the cliff. Leaping from the ground, he jumps clean over the gourge and too the other side.

I can't leave him in this state. He could hurt himself or someone else.

When his roars have faded enough to allow me to get to my feet. I run to the edge of the cliff. Staring up the ever growing cliff, I feel myself jump from the edge and whip out my kunai and then cling to the wall of the cliff.

As I use my strength on my weight, I peirce my kuanis into the cliff and start up the wall.

My phone rings.