Chapter 40

We arrive at the cliff where it drops into the lost city of La Puerta. My eyes gaze at the rising moon not yet at it's highest peek. All of us stand on the edge staring over the quiet city. No demons at sight. I instantly notice the withered and crumbling buildings. Unpopulated or so it seems. There out there watching, waiting for us to make our move. Will it be a good one? Or bad?

"They're probably gathered at the chapel." Chris implies.

We all acknowledge his observation and strap on our harnesses to repel down the side of the cliff. I grab my knives from a body bag beside and tuck them into my boots. Next, I grab my gun and latch it to my belt, secure. Chris, standing beside me swings a shotgun around to his back and latches two handguns and a knife to his belt. Then, I pull my rope through my carabiner. I then tie one side of the rope to a hatchet then throw it to the ground. Piercing the ground violently.

Then we all rappel down by jumping off and on the side of the crumbling cliff. I release and let go of the rope letting myself swiftly move down. I firmly grab the rope and the harness on my side. I seem to continue my pace down faster and in front of everyone else.

Once we make it down, we unharness ourselves. I am one of the first to reach the bottom and surprised I didn't slip or have a problem repelling down. We throw the harness carelessly on the ground. I hear our feet shuffling on the dirt ground while we pass through the abandoned streets. Our face determined and angry. Almost like we were power walking our way through a crowd of a thousand people. Chris and I lead because we've already been here before.

"Once we get in the chapel, be ready to fight." Scott demands.

We all nod and continue. Minutes later we turn the corner to reveal the chapel. Unfortunately, there are no more than 50 demons outside. I hear Braeden cock her gun behind me. Scott, Ava, Drake, and Noah shift into their claws and fangs while I pull out my knives from my boots and Chris pulls his shotgun from around his shoulders. Mason didn't come because he had to watch over Beacon Hills. When the 50 or more demons notice us, Scott roars signaling us to attack.

Ava charges in front of me and pounces on the first contacting demon. Scott challenges 10 other demons to my right. Chris and Braeden shoot whatever they see randomly. Noah pushes himself through a big bunch. Bodies falling as he passes. Drake surprisingly watches my back. He grabs my hand and swings me around, allowing me to stabbing the breaches and then watching them materializing into thin air. Then I feel myself spin around and kick one, sending it across the street. I push myself to the doors of the chapel. Once it comes into sight, I notice Scott and Braeden are already there. Drake, Ava, and Noah emerge from behind. And behind them a demon. In shock, all three of them turn around ready to slash at it before it suddenly falls to the ground. From behind the demon, stands Chris with smoke spewing from the barrel of his shotgun. He blows on it then smirks at us. We survived the first wave.

"Is everyone alright?" Braeden wonders.

"Yeah," Noah says breathing heavily.

"They probably know we are here now," I assure.

"So that means now that we don't have much time," Scott adds as he gesture us to start for the bunker at the back of the chapel. We walk through the middle aisle. Stained glass windows all around us or the story of Jesus christ. Just like before, an altar is at the back with a man-sized hole beneath. We approach the hole cautiously. We track dirt all over the withered dirty floral carpets beneath us. Each row of benches has ripped bible books with pages blowing in the wind. Then I notice in a far right corner, our footsteps echo through the chapel cathedral, a sign with 4 rows of 3 character numbers on it. However, on the second row, the third number almost hangs completely off. Then I glance behind me to see Ava disturbed by the state this horrific church is in. Suddenly we stop when Scott puts out his arm for us to stop. He leans over the edge of the hole to see only pitch black darkness. Scott then turns around and lays one finger over his lips. Drake and I exchange looks of fright.

Then I feel a warmth against my outer hand and then around to palm. I look down at the hand and subsequently look up to meet eyes gazing into mine. I blush. He smirks then tries to force himself to look away and focus on the rescue. I hear the bounce of feet as Scott jumps down the hole. Drake and I pull away from each other, putting our game faces on. Everyone else jumps into the hole cautiously and enter last. I take a deep into the dark abyss of the earthquake bunker. Leaving the light of the soon to be full moon of midnight it a pitch black darkness. My hands tracing the moss walls and feeling around for someone.

"Follow my voice." I hear Scott say from a distance in front of me. I listen intently enter I can see a peer of moonlight at the of vine that lines the hallway. I trail at the back of the group and follow the bright moonlight to the metal doors. We burst through the rusted doors expecting a fight. But instead it's an empty room. Moonbeams shine from the bar a top. Cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and wave in the cool wind of the desert. However, sands do fall in and I cover and rub my eyes frequently.

Suddenly we hear a hiss as a breach opens up on the wall as the moonbeams hit it. It opens fast. Everyone exchanges a look of uncertainty. Uncertain whether we are walking right into a trap or whether our luck is too good to be true? But I all know one thing. We ARE going through that breach without question. But the real worry is. What will we find on the other side?

We all start to the breach. Scott enters first and disappears into a whole other dimension. Then, Noah and Ava, Chris, Braeden. But before Drake enters, he looks back at me. With an assuring smile. He puts out his hand for me.

"Ready to go?" Drake says with a calming sensation.

I nod in response and take his warm hand and we jump in together.