Chapter 48

"Nehgin," Braeden called in Japanese as I podium arose from the ground. There were Japanese symbols on it creating a message.

"What does it say?" Scott asked.

"It says 'One who has cheated death'" Braeden responds.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Noah wondered with uncertainty.

There was a long silence throughout the room as we all try to decipher what the message means. I found myself staring at the floor while repeating the message to myself. Suddenly, Chris steps forward.

"It means me," Chris admits.

"What do you mean you?" Scott questions intently.

" I mean that I am the only here who's cheated death," Chris complies.

And without anyone's opinion on his predicament. He starts for the podium.

"Wait!" I feel myself shout out to him, "You have no idea what's going to happen."

He just stares at me and smiles.

"I don't care. As long as it helps us get closer to finding the pack." Chris complies with a friendly gesture.

All of us stand ready as Chris slowly steps onto the podium with ease. He glues his eyes shut, unsure on what will happen. But nothing happens. We all let out a sigh of relief until it is sounded by an ear split alarm. We watch with our ears covered as the room morphs into the Beacon Hills graveyard.

We all stand by as a figure enters the graveyard. The figure's eyes then glow a bright red. Suddenly we hear crackling leaves come from a different direction. It's a group of people. In that group of people, we see young Scott, Liam, Jordan, Hayden, Malia, and Chris.

This a memory. I look to Scott and he has his eyes fixed on his younger self. They don't to seem to see us. But it's like we are actually there. When the mysterious figure finally comes into view, Chris instantly recognizes it.

"The Nazi Wolf," Chris says as he stands on top of the podium.

We watch as young Scott, Liam, Jordan, Hayden, and Malia transform and charge at the Nazi Wolf. However, Chris stays back and shoots from a distance. They all engage in an unfair match. Everyone once in a while I feel myself glance back at him on the podium, but he looks sad. Wait, this is the night he 'died'. As I turn my attention back to the fight I notice that everyone has been taken out by the Nazi Wolf beside young Chris. With the Nazi Wolf charging at him, he throws his gun to the ground and grabs that only weapon that can kill the Nazi Wolf out of a duffle bag. When he turns back to the Nazi Wolf he's stabbed with its claws. My heart drops at the sight, but with his last strength he grabs the spear and stabs the Nazi Wolf. And in that act, they both drop dead to the ground. I could already feel a tear run down my face as the room starts to fade from the memory to white. We all turn around in astonishment back to the podium. But Chris is gone. Also, I notice that the words on the podium have changed.

"Pure," Braeden reads.

Suddenly, the podium lights up and within seconds Chris appears but with someone else. Malia. They both stumble out and Malia sees us all.

"Malia?" Scott says anxiously.

She nods in assurance. Suddenly she stumbles and Chris catches her.

"She's weak," Chris explains.

She reaches out for Scott who takes her hands and holds her steady in his arms. Chris steps off the podium and walks over to us.

"What happened?" Mason wonders.

"I was transported to some hellish place where I was allowed to grab one person and bring them back here," Chris explains once more.

"Well let's get everyone else back," Scott concludes.

Suddenly, a flash of light sparked a new message onto the podium.

"One who did not take but earned." Braeden read.

And in an instant, I knew.

"Scott. You didn't kill to become the alpha, you earned." I emphasized.

He turned to me and smiled. He then nodded and handed weak Malia over to Chris's arms. Then he started cautiously to the podium. When he stepped on it, it lit red. Just like Chris, a red barrier surrounded him and the room morphed into a memory. We're in the distillery. It's a full moon but a different kind of full moon. An Eclipse. In the distillery I see a woman being surrounded by Scott, Derek, and Deucalion. All three of them not transformed into werewolves due to the Eclipse. Suddenly the room dims from a light red from the Eclipse to a regular blue-white moonlight.

"Your 15 minutes are up," Derek states and then transforming back into a werewolf along with Scott and Deucalion.

"Like I told you, Derek, either you or the parents. Well, I guess I'll just have to take them now. In a few minutes, they'll be dead, and I won't need a lunar eclipse, even to kill a demon wolf." Jennifer grunts as she throws mountain ash into the air to shield herself from the caging in werewolves.

In this moment of despise, Scott steps toward the mountain ash barrier. And presses his hand against it to try and break through it.

"You've tried this before, Scott. I don't remember you having much success." Jennifer scuffs up.

Scott chooses to ignore her taunts and continues to push against the mountain ash barrier. While screaming, he starts to fight against the pull of the barrier. He pushes harder and harder till his golden yellow eyes of a beta turn bright searing red. He roars and breaks the barrier. The breakthrough sends Jennifer to the ground.

"How did you do that?" Jenifer asks as she breathes shakily.

"I'm an alpha now. Whatever you're doing to cause this storm, make it stop, or I'll kill you myself. I don't care what it does to the color of my eyes." Scott assures.

And with these words the room morphs back into a clean white and just like Chris, Scott's gone from the podium. Then a few moments later, there's a flash of light and Scott appears with Derek.

Derek greets everyone with a weak smile and a scar across his face. Without the help from Scott, Derek jumps off the podium and runs for Braeden and Noah. He kisses Braeden while hugging both her and Noah.

Scott steps off the podium and heads over to us.

"Well, who's next."