Chapter 26

At first, the brightness that the rising sun blinds me, but my eyes eventually adjust. I look at the horizon intensely and then to Chris, next to me. He seems to peacefully sleep but his eyes move under his lids. He dreaming. Pulling my attention back to the road I notice a town in the distance. I instantly shake Chris awake and he moans, rubbing his eyes. His attention draws towards the crippled town probably 30 minutes or more away from us.

He gets up from a slump position and says, "La Puerta."

I am more than excited and I move my position in my seat and grip the leather on the wheel harder in excitement. I will finally find my pack. Probably. I find myself picking up speed and going faster and faster. Chris fiddles with something in his lap. A gun. He checks for the bullets and firing pin. All good. I sigh, "What if there not there?"

"There'll be there." he says assuring.

"How do you know?" I wonder glancing at him but also at the road at the same time.

"You're a banshee, like your mother. " he says revealing.

"How do you know th-" I say questioningly.

"Hey it was obvious that your father loved Lydia," he gives me a smirk, " your father wasn't very good at hiding his feelings. There lucky to have a daughter like you." I laugh, but I wonder whether he knows what really happened to them because of me. I sigh, but I hide mumbling something under my breath so that he doesn't hear.

I park the car at a peak looking down at the withered town, getting out and feeling my hand tremble. What if they aren't here? If they are, what will we find? Will it be bad or good? I grab my knives from the dashboard and tuck them into my boots. Next, I grab my gun and latch it to my belt, secure. Chris swings a shotgun around to his back and latches two handguns and a knife to his belt.

Chris straps a harness to my waist and shoulders as I pull my rope through my carabiner. I then tie one side of the rope to a hatchet then throw it to the ground, hoping it is sturdy enough to hold my weight. I rappel down to jump off and on the side of the sedimented cliff. I release and let go of the rope letting myself to cautiously move down. I change my attention to Chris rappels above me but faster. It seemed as he has very much high experience in rappelling down the side of a withered ready to collapse cliff. Being put off focus, I slip and hit the wall hard. I am plastered against the wall and the side of my arm bleeds. I try to ignore and untangle my rope, hesitantly. My feet slowly slip down the deteriorating cliff and there's a 100 feet drop below me with a broken car. I feel butterflies in my stomach as I feel myself start to give up and just hang there, waiting to fall. I close my eyes tight thinking about Scott, Ava, the pack, my parent to feel a firm hand grab my harness.

"Are you ok?" a voice says as I slowly open my eyes. It's Chris smiling at me. I smile back and he fixes my rope. When I am free we decide to continue down slower and level with each other in every jump.

Once we make it down, we unharness ourselves and before I can thank Chris, I notice footprints on the ground. Size 10s, Scott's size. A cheap thrill flushes over me.

"Do you know where they might be?" Chris whispers, cautiously waiting for something bad to happen. Like someone or something is watching us.

I think about my dream, how Scott disappeared into mobs of people, heading for the "Church." My eyes find the church which looks like it sits in the middle of the withered town. We cautiously walk through the streets of abandoned houses. No one is here in this leveled town. I suddenly stop in my tracks and stare towards at the end of the street. It's still and quiet, but for some reason, I feel that something's off. "We are being watched," I say pointing at a house as we notice someone disappear from a window. We break into a sprint, keeping low and unnoticed. We run to the front door of the house and Chris puts a finger over his lips, signaling to be quiet and slowly pushes the door open. We barge in to find a deserted living room. It takes a moment for us to look around and analyze our surrounding till demons appear in a cloud of pitch black smoke. Instantly turning around to make a run for it, a poof of smoke covers the door, forming another demon.

"A trap." Chris snaps.

"Grab the girl and bring her to Deasius." the demon demands as he stands in the doorway.

Chris steps in front of me and pulls out both of his guns, protecting me. He immediately starts shooting with an adverse pattern. Reaching for my Kunai's in my boots, I pull them out, spinning them in my index fingers and then into my palms, facing down. Breaking from Chris' protection, I go to slash the demon. He dodges the slash and elbows me in the face sending backward. I rebel and try a different attack. I toss my right kunai to my left and pull out my Glock. With one hand, I shoot it once. And to my surprise, I throw it off balance. It stumbles and attempts to lash at me but I grab its shoulders and knee it in the gut. I notice a soft anger burn up in his eyes as he struggles to get to his feet. I glance from over my shoulder and Chris has at least killed off two demons. I turn back to the other demon and notice something in his eyes. I notice fear, I notice human. It's almost like I almost recognize him, but I can't quite figure it out. Once he notices two of his men have been killed and my curiosity, he instantly disappears into a cloud of pitch black darkness.

"You ok?" Chris says scouwering the next room.

"Yea," mumbling, and then thinking of the demons innocent eyes, "I'm fine."